Third party charging adapters

Discussion in 'General' started by electriceddy, Aug 23, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tom made a good video showing the reasons for using approved charging adapters. That is, adapters made by the car manufactures themselves.
    It seems the major DC networks are covering for liability issues as surfaced on several EVs recently.
    The updated "terms of use" are self-explanatory.

andyG59 likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I'd think something like UL certification should be the key factor to look for. I know some of the portable EVSEs that have been provided by car manufacturers aren't necessarily all that good, so I doubt any adapters from car manufacturers are somehow special. As with all things best to buy from reputable sources.

electriceddy and insightman like this.
  4. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

The question I have is how the station will know that a 3rd party adapter is being used and deny the charge session.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Charging station complaining about a bad adapter: "What we got here is a failure to commun'cate."

electriceddy likes this.
  6. There are many certification agencies in the U.S. covered by OHSA's nationally recognized testing laboratory (NRTL).
    In Canada there are an equal number of approved certification agencies as well.
    I guess the whole point Tom, (and the charging networks involved) are trying to make in this video, is to use vehicle manufactured approved adapters as they must conform, while the cheap imports may not. Additionally, some may include a "look alike" accreditation symbol (I have seen this myself on some electrical equipment) which indeed is not approved.
    If one chooses to use one of these, even though it may not be recognized by the charger or the vehicle as being un-approved, the liability will fall onto the user for any damages including charger connector repairs and/or vehicle inlet or control repair issues.

Puppethead likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. shepdave

shepdave New Member

According to Tom in the video, it won’t. The first indication will be a malfunction that causes an arc, a fire, or other damage to the car or charging station. The point is that the user of the third-party adapter will be responsible for the damage.

insightman and electriceddy like this.
  9. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

I was hoping there would have been a way to tell and lock out the garbage product from being used. Otherwise if the station is damaged it goes offline until is replaced meaning one less stall for the public to use. Hopefully they would be able to know which person caused the damage and go after them for the repair costs otherwise it will result in user fee increases.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

There are so many unknown:
    • Aging of vehicle conductors
    • Aging of adapter conductors
    • Aging of station conductors
    • The three plastic pieces thermal and fire properties
    It can be solved but I would prefer both the vehicle and stations have at least temperature sensors on power pins with maximum temperature limits. Then the adapters have a maximum temperature limiter. Built in circuit breaker.

Bob Wilson