The Various EV charging stations apps!

Discussion in 'General' started by Lisa, Jul 11, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Just picked up my new Kona EV this week, so I'm very new to this!

I downloaded four different apps for charging stations - Plugshare, Chargepoint, EVgo, and Chargehub.

Is it me, or are there many, many EV stations NOT listed on these apps? They don't even have the ones in my area listed. I did a real deep dive and they all seem to be missing stations (I understand that Evgo and Chargepoint are their own company)... but the results do not seem to include all stations.

Is there a reliable way to find ALL stations in a certain area? Many thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I use PlugShare which has an option to 'filter' the type of connector and service provider. Once you get used to using the filter, it becomes a great tool.

Bob Wilson

MzTeaze and electriceddy like this.
  4. bwilson4web

I also like the charging comments from users. This has avoided some pretty unhappy events. For example:
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/11080

I was testing my BMW i3-REx on an EV-only drive to Nashville but discovered and confirmed the Shelbyville EVSE was (still) broken and no one is trying to fix it. The comments document what not just me but others found out. I reported it to the PlugShare team and the graphic changed to show "under repair."

On are recent trip to my Mom in Coffeyville KS, I added two charging locations: a NEMA 14-50 in a quality RV park and a 110VAC NEMA 5-20 at the local hospital. Staying with my wife overnight, the slow outlet was perfectly adequate.

I'm not terribly impressed with the iPhone App but it is usable. For trip planning, I used my laptop. BTW, it has a pretty good trip planner. I can put in way-points to adjust the route to preferred paths.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    MzTeaze likes this.
  5. The apps are essentially crowd sourced information so if they are missing charge areas you can add them in for other users to see. There is also https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ which I've heard some people like but I've never used.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

I've only got an hour with "abetterrouteplanner" and it looks promising but I'm familiar with "plugshare" which I started using in 2016. The "plugshare" route planning made it easy for me to test various charging approaches on long distance travel.

Bob Wilson

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MzTeaze

MzTeaze New Member

Is that a website that only works on a laptop? It seems to not work well from my tablet.

9. My Windows 10 PC works, I use the Tesla S60 as an EV Model as this program has mostly Tesla models to choose, but there is a Leaf and Focus beta as well.

MzTeaze likes this.