The engineering behind EV batteries

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by lars2885, Mar 10, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. It's specifically not about the Kona, but it's a really lucid explanation of some of the engineering behind EV batteries.

Domenick and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Very interesting video, Thanks for that.
    Perhaps link it into the Lucid category, as it pertains relative info for those owners.;)
    Lots of key references to the high voltage (almost 3x Kona EV) as well as structural/ cooling components.
    Of course our prismatic cells are different particularly when referring to the cooling system, as our cells sit on the cooling plates as apposed to the Lucid system with the plate on top. I wonder if that cooling plate was on top on our cars if it would be more effective in higher temperature applications.
    Top location might be a hinderance however (aside from the electric battery heaters) when heating the cells by scavenging heat from the motor and power electronics (default LTR mode) in mild or cooler conditions is required, as heat rises.
    Kind of a trade off I suppose.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
  4. I wondered the same until I realised that the somewhat-intuitive phenomenon of "heat rising" only applies during natural convection of air under the effect of gravity (or any other gas that becomes less dense with temperature). Here we have mostly solid and liquid materials.
    With the Kona the thermal resistance between cell and coolant is quite high because the cells are stacked. Tesla of course minimise the thermal resistance to maximise charging rate.

I wish the Kona had a "foot garage" as well.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. So having the cooling plates on top will not lower the cell temperature faster given the same affect, contact area takes priority, thanks for the reminder;)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022