Sunroof Question

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Tommm, Aug 25, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

When I open/slide the sunroof the mesh does not go back. Does yours? I am pretty sure it does on my other cars that have a sunroof. Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

This is a feature, not a bug. If you choose, you can get fresh air while still reducing the amount of sunlight that is bleaching your hair. Alternatively, you can get sunlight through the sunroof by retracting the mesh.

4. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

What he said.

I often use this feature on a bright sunny day. I burn easily, and this lets me have fresh air without the sunburn. It also reduces glare when the sun is at certain angles.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

That feature bugs me! thanks.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  6. insightman

It wouldn't bug me if the mesh retracted with the sunroof feature, but I appreciate the ability to choose. MINI could have designed the mesh to retract with the sunroof but allowed it to be pulled back into place after the sunroof is open, but such a friction mechanism would create another potential point of failure.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I appreciate this simple design. Unlike the ICE SUVs I've driven for many years, everything is quite 'reachable' in the Mini, including the sliding covers of both sunroofs. So it's a quick deal to reach up and move the covers even while driving.

azausa and GetOffYourGas like this.
  9. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I just have to remember to remove the pop-in reflectors before I open the roof!

10. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Everything but the homelink.

11. SameGuy

YUL
    How far back are you sitting?? My arm isn’t straight when I reach for the button.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

You can reach the mirror without leaning forward? How close are you to the steering wheel?

I set my seat a little less than arm's reach from the steering wheel, and the mirror is much further than the steering wheel.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  14. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I'm with chrunck - I have to lean forward a bit to hit that garage button.

SameGuy likes this.
  15. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

The rule of thumb that I've always followed is that you should be able to firmly grasp the top of the steering wheel with your arm slightly bent, and you should be able to depress the clutch (or brake) all the way to the floor. I adjust the seat position and the rake of the seat to fit these measures, and I'm always perfectly comfortable. (And I hate it when the seat gets moved, and I have to adjust all over again.)

SameGuy likes this.
  16. SameGuy

YUL
    Ok, but it’s certainly “reachable,” regardless of how you prefer to sit.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  17. SameGuy

YUL
    Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I sit most comfortably with my wrist able to rest on the top of the wheel (no, I do not drive like that!), and my left foot flat on the dead pedal with my hamstring on the thigh support. I do not have to lean forward to touch the button. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11AE5C10-E4A8-4601-B8BD-D8D9A3EA5493.jpeg 07BD36DD-C916-47B6-9BB1-36DFC4126C0C.jpeg

18. Same.

19. insightman

In 2 years I'd never even wondered to if there was a mesh to cover the rear sunroof panel. After reading @GvilleGuy's post, I promptly went outside, squeezed into the back seat, and pulled it closed for the first time. I wonder what next "new" feature of my SE will this forum help me discover?

wessy, GetOffYourGas, azausa and 2 others like this.
  20. LittleWoods

LittleWoods Active Member

Heh, thought I was the only one going crazy. I have to stretch to reach it in a rather uncomfortable way, a problem I don't have in my wife's Subaru.

I didn't know about the sunroof "feature", had never actually tried it, but nice to have the option!

21. SameGuy

YUL
    Do all y’all drive with the seat so far back that your arms are rigid straight at 9 & 3 o’clock?? Or worse, like my dad, with the (bench) seat all the way back and just barely able to reach the bottom of the wheel in his Gran Fury Custom?

22. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

23. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

That's how I sit, and my reach is six inches short of the mirror when I reach for it.