Stupid question of the day!! Lumber transport?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Chris Messer, May 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Chris Messer

Chris Messer Member

So i guess in the interest of being a little lazy, has anyone transported any lumber with the seats down? I am looking to get a piece of MDF cut down but not sure how long/wide/tall will comfortably fit in the car. There dimensions of the trunk then there's reality based on actual openings and protrusions .... so looking for a real life experience, lol.

if no one replies guess I will with what I find out!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

Folding down the rear seats leaves a narrow pass-through. A six-foot long box can go through the pass-through, and fit in the trunk. (I don't remember the dimensions of the pass-through.)

Even with the passenger seat moved forward and seat-back leaned forward, 8' long boards hit the passenger seat and stick out of the trunk just a few inches.

Chris Messer likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The longest 2x4 I can fit in my Touring with the rear seats folded down is 107" (which leaves space for some cardboard to protect the dash when I slam on the brakes). You might fit a 108" 2x4, but I didn't try.

The Touring's power front seats are 10-1/2" apart. The widest part of the trapezoidal trunk pass-through portal is 30", but it's only 21" wide at the bottom. A potential problem is the metal loop that latches the right-side of the rear seat in the upright position. It sticks up 1-1/2" right in the center of the path between the trunk and the dashboard.

The Clarity doesn't fit the role of a lumber truck very well. I hope this helps.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    KentuckyKen and RogerB like this.
  5. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

I have carried a 2 X 6 X 10 foot by placing one end against the windshield with a towel wrapped around the end to protect the dash and the windshield. I was able to get the other end fully into the trunk and to close it.

insightman likes this.