Spare Tire or Sealant Kit for Niro EV

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by swiftgti, Dec 18, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. swiftgti

swiftgti New Member

The new Niro EV in my home town comes with "Tire Mobility Kit", that is a compressor and sealant bottle. Is it possible to remove it and put a spare tire instead?

Is there anyone who is already equipped with spare tire?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. IanM

IanM New Member

Yes, I bought and swapped out the gunk, compressor and tray for a 'spacesaver' wheel and it fits well.

Don't forget the nuts (if different for a steel wheel), spanner(s), jack, gloves and a bag for the dirty punctured wheel.

4. Robert Lewis

Robert Lewis Member

I ordered this based on recommendations elsewhere in the forum: https://kiastuff.com/kia-niro-spare-tire-kit-m015/ Fits well in the under-floor storage in the back of the Niro EV once you remove the lower foam section that has the compressor and tire gunk.

5. This is great. Thanks for the link. I am totally dropping $270 on one of these. There seems to be a trend to not provide spare tires, and not just in electric cars. Weird.

I only need a spare maybe once every 5 years on average, but it sure would suck not to have it those times.

Is there a reason on the Niro I can't use the lug nuts from the wheel I am removing to swap for the spare?

6. IanM

IanM New Member

On my UK Prius the 'lug nuts' for the alloy wheels were totally different (long, flatended, washered tubes) to those required for steel wheels (chamfered short nuts). On the E-Niro they appear to be the same for both in the UK.

I have no idea what is required for the US fitted wheels so it would be wise to check before your puncture and find you have a spare but can't fit it!

P.S. In the Prius I never needed the spare wheel in eight years of ownership, just a couple of very slow leaks. I work on the principal that it never rains if you carry an umbrella.

P.P.S. I only paid £20 for an unused spacesaver doughnut, jack etc. in a scrapyard.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. swiftgti

swiftgti New Member

What size is your spare tyre?
    I've got a spare tyre from Sportage but i it's too big to fit into the space. Mine is T155/90D16

Attached Files:

9. IanM

IanM New Member

Spacesaver 'doughnut' 125/80/D16

TheDave likes this.