"Smart Cruise Control (SCC) conditions not met"

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Taurus, May 29, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Taurus

Taurus New Member

I have Hyundai Kona Electric 2019 and I have had this error happen to me a couple of times before and today it happened again. When setting cruise control on I get a warning message "Smart Cruise Control (SCC) conditions not met" and it won't turn on.

But there's no explanation what the conditions are and how to fix this? I tried pressing the brake pedal couple of times while driving. I stopped the car for couple of minutes. I took a longer coffee and car recharging break and restarted the car after that. I switched to normal cruise control to see if the front sensors were dirty, but normal cruise control didn't turn on either. Nothing helped.

Smart Cruise Control worked fine yesterday but not today anymore. It was raining yesterday quite a lot and it was raining today as well, but not as much as yesterday.

Any ideas how to fix this? I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't find any topics about this. Cheers!

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

This was a problem with my '19 when new. I stopped it when I realised that the Kona seems to be set up to expect regular use of the brake pedal in normal driving (no SCC) to check the brakes are working OK. I was using level 3 regen and no brake pedal for long distances, then it wouldn't reengage SCC if paused/stopped.
    I switched to level 1 regen + autoregen so I used the brake lightly a lot more, and the problem went away - not seen again.

4. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I had this happen a few times. I discovered all I had to do was tap the breaks, then I could set Cruise Control.. I always run GEN-3.

5. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

The OP has already said that doesn’t solve his problem, and it also wastes energy and worsens economy..

6. Best to wait until things dry out. The actual distance sensor (radar)
    [​IMG]
    is mounted behind the plastic rectangle and sits approx 1/4" behind the bumper cover allowing moisture to gather there. I found that out when installing my grille rock guard.
    When it rains (make that pours) the SCC is pretty much useless, between the moisture on the radar and the camera on the windshield dogging the river.
    It always seems to come back normally after things dry out. I assume you haven't hit anything (like a curb) and deformed the alignment .
    There is a possibility a leaf or other material (dead bugs) have found that little space behind the cover and the actual sensor, a quick check with a wire or thin cardboard may remove any unwanted debris.
    I doubt the problem involves the camera, as it has it's own error message
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2022
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

This happens to my Kona (2021 Ultimate) whenever I go longish periods without using the brakes, regardless of weather conditions. Tapping the brakes works for me every time. It's annoying to have to do that, though, especially on the highway, so I try to think to use the brakes for slowdown before I enter the highway.

9. Taurus

Taurus New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll see what happens now when the car has dried out.

10. Was just driving my car and the car lurched and stopped accelerating, "Cruise Control Conditions No Met" message came on and then every warning light lit up. The motor powered down and the car basically stopped in a live lane. Gravity kept it creeping forward until I could get off the road. Turned off and on. Didn't fix anything. Disconnected battery and reconnected. Seemed to fix things. Started, drove stopped, started again. No issues. Drove 3km and then it all happened again. Dash fireworks, no power. Pulled over. Redid the whole 12 volt riggamarole, started up fine, drove 2 km back, it happened again as I was making a left turn across live traffic lanes. By this time I was thoroughly frustrated and tromped on the accelerator, the car lurched and jumped, loosing all motor power then accelerating. I managed to get into my driveway a kilometre away. Waiting now for the tow truck to take it to my dealer 45km away. They can't even look at it until next week! Well, I had a couple of hundred kilometres of quiet driving with my nice new drive train before it became crippled again. I guess I shouldn't have been so upbeat. :(

electriceddy likes this.
  11. Yup, same car, same issue. It does mention it briefly in the manual but what I've learned is if you haven't touch the brake (often happens if you're in 3rd level regen/one pedal) or if you just haven't altered speed much in the past 5-10 minutes you'll get this message when you try to engage the cruise control.

If it does that now I've gotten into the habit of momentarily lifting my foot off the gas pedal. That's all it needs to be able to engage.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. PXL_20220602_154855052_exported_48582.jpg
    Here's the dash.

electriceddy likes this.
  14. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Sounds like the 12 volt might be the common denominator, maybe a new one would make the difference? Good luck, keep us posted.

15. Hopefully a connector was not locked in place during repairs and came loose or coolant clamp on a hose , possible 12V failure as well...who knows.
    Any sign of fluid leaked out, reservoir level OK?, or measured the 12V residual voltage level at the battery terminals?
    It definitely sounds like an issue that started during the repair process, seeing as it never occurred previous.

16. I did let my home dealership know that the car was just ripped apart and rebuilt last week so they could consider if something perhaps wasn't reconnected as well as it should have been. I'm really hoping the car threw a code that can point them in the right direction. I was a bit dismayed that Blue link health status reported as "All Systems Normal" while my dash was lit up. :(

electriceddy likes this.
  17. I am sure you are familiar with my thoughts regarding Bluelink, but justifiably and as expected this system (unlike your car) is working just as designed:D

KiwiME likes this.
  18. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Yep .. this is how mine behaves as well. Doesn't happen that often, fortunately.

19. Turns out the dashboard light show and erratic power situation were caused by a faulty accelerator pedal assembly. It's on backorder (of course) and I'm now being offered a rental car for the duration. I hate gas cars, period, but having to pay for gas these days is an additional annoyance.

20. Potentially a dangerous situation if the accelerator pedal variable resistance sensor is defective, matches with your original description.
    Hopefully the part is small enough that replacement can be sent by air, reducing the inconvenience (and cost) of an ICE loaner.
    The list of unique defects continues, yours was the first (and possibly the only posted) EPCU replacement, now add to that a accelerator pedal assembly (again after the car was in for service), I hope your luck turns around after this one;)

21. You'd think at some point I would have uncovered all of the obscure, faulty bits, wouldn't you?

syntaxfx likes this.
  22. Uggh, this gives me unpleasant flashbacks to my Kona experience. I can completely empathize. I hope they sort this out for you quickly.