Slight burning smell in trunk

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by victor_2019, Jun 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

Reposted in in proper forum

I've had my clarity for a couple of weeks now and have put 2000 km on it.

In the past couple of days i noticed a slight burnt smell in the trunk.

Is this normal?

The only difference in the past couple of days is it's finally getting warmer outside with temperatures in the mid 20s (Celsius)

The car drives fine otherwise and my projected electric range has increased above 80 km

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

I would get it checked out. Burning smell is not normal.

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

The only burnt type of smell that could be considered normal has been reported coming from under the hood and happens only when the engine starts for the first couple of times. This is caused by the engine heating up for the first time and burning off any manufacturing or lubrication coatings left on surfaces near any part of the hot drive train.
    We haven’t had any reports of burnt smells coming from the trunk. If it’s really from the trunk and not the tailpipe/muffler, then I agree with @The Gadgeteer and take it in.
    Better safe than sorry.

Texas22Step likes this.
  5. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

I agree with all the above. But if nothing comes of this, and the smell goes away on its own after (or before) you have it checked out, then I wonder if it’s just the exhaust outlet and surroundings going through its first few cycles of heating. I was surprised to see, when under the car to put on a hitch, that the end of the exhaust is right under the trunk, a decent distance back from the end of the car (at least by my standards, having only had cars where tailpipes stick out).

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Because you're using km and celsius, I'm going to guess you're Canadian, eh? ;)

If so, the car may just be now getting to operate at hot temperatures for the first time and has finally reached the "burning off" smells of the new car phase. If you're smelling this while operation only in EV mode, then something is probably amiss.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

my engine has not turned on in weeks so it's not the muffler or oil burning off.

I'm using my new kona at the moment but I'll drive the clarity some more and see if the smell is still there.

it's hard to describe it. it's not really a burnt smell, but it's a "hot electrical equipment" type smell...

if it persists I'll take it to the dealer.