Siemens VersiCharge on a 30 amp service

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Mikeinohio, Jul 29, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mikeinohio

Mikeinohio New Member

i have easy access to a 220 volt 30 amp circuit in my garage, while adding a 40 amp circuit would require a somewhat tedious 75 ft run of new wire. I looked at the Siemens VersiCharge manual, and although it recommends you connect it to a 40 amp circuit, there are words indicating you can make an internal adjustment to limit output in order to accommodate power limitations of older buildings. I took that to mean you can utilize the same charger on a 20 or 30 amp circuit. Having that flexibility is advantageous for me as I may not live in my current house much longer, and I would like to have the option of taking my charger with me to a new house where I do have access to a 40 amp circuit.

I called Siemens technical support, and the rep confirmed the unit can be adjusted to work on my 30 amp circuit, but he told me more than once, adjusting output to 75% (i.e. 24 amps would void the warranty. No explanation why. I find it interesting that they would incorporate an adjustment that voids the warranty. Has anyone on this forum done this, and has it worked well for you? Thanks in advance.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Odobo

Odobo Active Member

Better call them again and ask what actually cause the void of the warranty... Is it opening the unit that cause the void or the change in setting.

Like you said it wouldn't make sense to void the warranty for changing a setting that is listed in the manual, and if the void of warranty is because of opening the unit then FTC actually said it's illegal under federal law.... So better ask for exactly why the rep claim doing so will void the warranty

4. vicw

vicw Active Member

My initial reaction to this was that the Tech Support guy at Siemens must have been mistaken, but after looking through the manual again, I found a comment on Page 21 that I think might be consistent with his warning about warranty violation.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Circuit must be sized for the max ampere requirement. Do not de-rate
    breakers or conductors based on amperage adjustment

Also, on Page 20, under Amperage Adjustment, they comment:
    The Siemens VersiCharge has the option to set the maximum amperage/power
    that can be delievered to the car using the Amperage adjustment switch. Note
    that Versicharge cannot control the power draw to the EV, it can only
    communicate the current capacity of the device to the EV.
    Note: The EV controls the power draw. the VersiCharge only communicates the
    maximum available power to EV.

I think their position probably jibes with the warnings in the manual.

5. Odobo

Odobo Active Member

The verbage on pg 21 is more for them covering their @$$ for liability when someone connect the charger to a under rated breaker and conductor and burn the house down... So they can say we warned you in the manual!

The verbage on pg20 is just describing what the evse does when you adjust the output settings.... I don't see how either 1 of those can be the reason of voiding warranty if you adjust it. Especially it doesnt say anything about voiding the warranty in that session

6. vicw

vicw Active Member

I'm no lawyer, and we can agree to disagree on this, but the Page 20 warning looks pretty explicit to me: "Circuit must be sized for the max ampere requirement. Do not de-rate breakers or conductors based on amperage adjustment.' I don't think they have to say anything about voiding the warranty to make it clear. The "Must" and "Do not" don't leave any room for interpretation, and aside from the legalities, ignoring those warnings may put the customer and his belongings at some risk. From the safety standpoint, if the user wants to do that, despite the warnings, he should call for a qualified electrician to install it.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. vicw

vicw Active Member

FWIW, the Siemens Warranty Exclusions include this:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (2) that has been improperly installed, operated, handled
    or used, including use under conditions for which the product was not designed,
    use in an unsuitable environment, or use in a manner contrary to the Siemens
    Installation and Operations Manual or applicable laws or regulations
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think that would include not installing according to the the conditions shown on Page 20 as violating the Warranty.

9. ManKo

ManKo Member

My Juice Box has this setting right in its app. It allows you to set the maximum charge rate based on your circuit size. And best of all it doesn’t void your warranty. I attached a screen shot.

Attached Files:

10. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

Siemens doesn't like their de-rate switch being the safety for your charge setup.
    Your breakers will limit current to 30 amps.
    If something does go south, Siemens doesn't want to make headlines if your breakers don't trip when they are supposed to AND the output limiter somehow fails to keep you below 30 amps.