Sandy Munro on CCS-1

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Jun 9, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'll be at their Open House June 20.

Bob Wilson

Domenick and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If Bob's making the 700-mile trip, that's a good enough endorsement for me; I'll be there, too! Fortunately, I'm 650 miles closer than Bob is.

If the weather is good, I may even put my carefully preserved OEM Power Spoke wheels (called "Corona Spoke" when I ordered my SE) on for the trip. Sandy helped BMW with the design for the MINI when they first acquired the Mini brand.

Domenick and electriceddy like this.
  4. bwilson4web

Now we know who invented CCS-1, CharIN, and why it is so bad:

CharIN was founded by Audi, BMW, Daimler, Mennekes, Opel, Phoenix Contact, Porsche, TÜV SÜD and Volkswagen on 08/05/2015. And we’re ...

I suspected CCS-1 was invented by someone who hated EVs ... now we know they were.

Bob Wilson

electriceddy likes this.
  5. Actually CharIN has suddenly taken a new stance, as some of it's members have an interest in NCAS. (no mention of which members)
    "The most important thing is that CharIn said that it "will work to convene an open task force to align requirements to submit NACS to the standardization process."
    "For any technology to become a standard it must go through a due process in a standards development organization (e.g., ISO, IEC, IEEE, SAE, ANSI). Such a process is collaborative and enables all interested parties to contribute their ideas."

"CharIN is pleased that NACS is using DIN 70121 and ISO 15118 protocols based on power line communication (PLC) enabling CCS functionality. These protocols were created for CCS but are versatile communication standards that could help build bridges across all charging standards in North America. These standards are also deeply rooted in CharIN membership and activities."
    Hopefully this goes through smoothly and in a short timeframe so the largest remaining members can initiate the change process within too long.
    I for one am looking forward to the 2024 Kona EV which supports V2L, so this would enable standards finally using the NCAS charging protocol. It would be nice if one of the unmentioned members was indeed Hyundai.

6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Hyundai seems to get left out of mentions on many fronts, including Munro's reardowns.

15118 is kind of a horror-show internally, but I guess it'll do once the flap about connectors settles down.
    I'm keenly interested in what's going to happen in the adapter market, and how many fires from crappy
    knockoff gear we'll see in the news.

_H*

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

Reminds me of 'A Christmas Story':
    upload_2023-6-14_7-5-2.png

Bob Wilson

9. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

As long as we're namedropping, Kyle Conner also brings out the point of separating the connector issue from
    the protocol and maybe more importantly, the backend network *reliability* issues. Within less than a week of
    uproar, everyone seems to already be talking "adapters", the existence of which [presumably soon?] will ease
    a lot of this transition. None of that will directly get the non-tesla networks to actually maintain their assets
    and strive for better uptime and customer support.

_H*

10. bwilson4web

Perhaps this is where CharIN can add value. With NACS coming on so strong, it might have given them a 'clue by for' as to how badly they have met their goals and objectives.

I have long suspected there is a need for a J1772 and CCS-1 plug analyzer. It passively monitors the 5-7 pins and mades a record of what happened. This would be a trivial but valuable exercise for anyone who wants to fix CCS-1. Don't call support asking for "help" but report a fact based, description of what failed.

Bob Wilson

11. Celtic Norseman

Celtic Norseman New Member Subscriber

While true, here's hoping this lights a fire under all charging providers to get their collective $h1t together, or go out of business.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.