Samsung S7 edge not compatible with Honda infotainment?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ozy, Feb 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ozy

ozy Active Member

Tried to use my Samsung S7 edge in the car but was completely unable to do so. I could use the Bluetooth but could not use the controls at the wheel to send voice commands. Also, could not use Auto Android. Unit kept saying that phone was incompatible. Are some phones incompatible or could it be something else going on? The S7 edge is not that old a phone and the car seems to have no problem recognizing an even older Samsung Note 5.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

Make sure you are connected to the USB on the driver's side. It's more powerful than the other one on the passenger side.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

4. tim

tim Member

I use my S7 (non-edge) with no problems. I don't think the voice recognition button on the steering wheel works, but the other buttons work for controlling music. I believe there is only one port that works for Android Auto.

5. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

Not sure about that one, but the Samsung Galaxy J3 is not compatible at all for me.

One tip that may help you: some usb cables are only for charging. They don't have the internal wires for data transfer. Make sure your cable isn't one of those.

6. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

I use my Samsung S7 Edge with Android Auto which responds to orders from the steering wheel and voice from the steering wheel. To use voice control with AA press and hold hold the voice button and the give an AA command. "Navigate to address." "Find nearest gas." etc.

It seems to be kind of fussy about the USB cord. I had a OEM Samsung cord that came wth the car charger I had bought previously. It worked fine, but was longer than I wanted so I tried another aftermarket cord that did not work at all. Then I tried another one that worked fine. So get out your collection and keep trying till one of them works.

(I am assuming that you have the AA app loaded on your phone.)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. tim

tim Member

I previously said that I couldn't get the steering column button to activate Android Auto voice recognition. I figured out my problem. A short press of the button starts the Honda voice recognition, and a longer, 1-second press activates the Android Auto voice recognition.

One more thing that I discovered today was that sometimes my Android Auto touchscreen freezes, where none of the on-screen buttons react to screen touches. This seems to happen mostly when I'm listening to music through Android Auto. I found that if I use the steering column button to select either SiriusXM or FM radio and then immediately switch back to Android Auto, the touchscreen works again.

9. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Tim - I have had the same freeze experience with Android Auto. Thanks for the tip, I will try it out next time it freezes.

10. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

UPDATE: today USB CORD #2 which had worked outbound refused to work on the return trip. Fiddled with it and it conected for a minute, but then disconnected. I went back to the Samsung cord #1 and it worked just fine. Started thinking about the difference. The end of the Samsung cord that plugs into the car is about 2/3 the length of #2 and thinner and lighter. My current theory is that the extra length and weight exert just enough leverage on the connection to put something out of kilter (technical term) and unseated,

I am going to fiddle around with some other USB cords and see if there is really a pattern.

11. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

12. To remove this ad click here.