Rivian battery pack design

Discussion in 'Rivian' started by Domenick, Feb 9, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Batteries are the heart of an electric vehicle, so this thread is for discussing the Rivian design.

The company uses the same pack for both the R1T and R1S, of course. The cells inside are cylindrical 2170s. This is the same dimensions found in the Tesla Model 3 pack though from a different supplier.

According to this article, they are quite likely double-stacked, which helps them create packs that can hold so much energy -- 180 kWh in its largest pack.

This other article goes into a little more detail, including some discussion of the pack's carbon composite shell and a “ballistic shield" and how it's cooled and heated.

rivian-battery-pack.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. A gentleman by the name of Glenn Coco has made a little video that takes issue with the design. Not sure how accurate his opinions are -- the part where he says the big battery is more about towing than range seems a bit off to me -- but I'll embed it here so people can watch and come to their own conclusions. Hopefully, some of you can add your own insights.

4. Poorpilot

Poorpilot Member

This was a very painful video to watch. As I stated on another forum- I have a hard time believing that Rivian, or any company for that matter, would fully divulge all the intricacies of any company specific process. With that being said, maybe everyone should wait until Rivian comes out with more specific information regarding their batteries before we start making YouTube videos knocking them?

Domenick likes this.