Regen Paddle Failing

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David Towle, Mar 9, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

My left regen paddle may be failing, a lot of times I use it and it clicks but I don't get another chevron. If I pull much harder than the click it usually works.

Anyone else have this issue? Is there an adjustment or is replacement in my future? I'll wait till it stops working completely before bringing to the dealer's attention.

2018, 70k miles.

zman likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

My guess would be that the switch contacts are failing / dirty...

If you have an AP200, one of the live reports shows the state of the switch, and you could watch the live status while exercising the switch to see if it is working, intermittent, or similar.

My best guess (without actually trying it) would be these items:

upload_2023-3-9_21-7-40.png

zman and Daniel M W like this.
  4. Do any of the following conditions exist when you experience these failures? F5DF68A0-8E8D-4F50-8913-D37267684D5F.jpeg

zman likes this.
  5. David Towle

No none of those apply. I learned a long time ago when more regen is not allowed.

6. ajzwilli

ajzwilli New Member

I have experienced the same symptoms. It will respond with a "harder" click of the paddle, but won't with a gentle pull. Most of the time it is fine it works properly. Maybe just a coincidence - but when we have an issue, it seems to be between seasons, especially when humidity increases (i.e. spring for me).

David Towle likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

This just started happening to me a couple of weeks ago. I bought new in late 2018 and have 50k miles.

Occasionally, I will hit the regen switch and I will not get another chevron. Another click has always worked after a fail.

My honest with myself plan is to ignore it until it gets worse:) I use the regen maybe a dozen times per day, and this happens maybe every other day a time or two. I have not seen this before a couple of weeks ago.

9. I learned that the amount of regen available from the paddle selections is so near to useless, that I just use the brake pedal like in any normal car. It accomplishes the same task and it will allow “regen” even when outside the limitations of the paddles. For example, when speed is above ~45mph.

10. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

You are mostly correct except for this 2 mile downhill part of my commute that it's perfect for 3 chevrons of regen. Apart from that it is useless, but I find it fun to use anyway:)

insightman likes this.
  11. 853F3E4C-1E1E-4DA2-A586-C1C86662905A.jpeg

These words of caution bring a chuckle.

Perhaps the intended message it to “slowly shift the deceleration paddle”?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. David Towle

I have cramping problems in my feet and the less I use the pedals the better. I also use CC around town whenever possible for the same reason.

14. eliktronik

eliktronik New Member

I used to use mine religiously until it failed completely a few weeks ago (2018, 50k miles). Probably not worth the hassle to replace it.

15. pigrew

pigrew Member

It's likely the button assembly (78565-TEA-A81ZG) or the cable-reel/clock-spring assembly (77900-TBA-A11). The button assembly should be pretty easy to swap out, but the cable reel is slightly more time consuming, since it requires removal of the entire steering wheel. While it could be the PCM or other wiring harnesses, they are less likely to be the issue.

Once it fails completely, it'll be easy to diagnose, using an ohmmeter. Even before it fails, you probably could use an ohmmeter to diagnose the failed part. Be careful with the steering wheel, as the airbag inflator signals are also routed through the cable-reel.

16. alter

alter Member

this started happening to my left paddle as well since november.. at the time it seemed to happen more often when cold.. now it just always happens.. it sounds like it's defective if many people are getting it. I asked how much to replace and it was 110 dollars just for the switch.

I've found the sure way to get it to engage for now is to grab the pedal as close to the steering column as possible where it is thick and push on that.. but it's probably that the contact is being bent so it's no longer engaging when clicked normally, so eventually it will probably fail even with the sure way i'm doing.

17. David Towle

Got the left paddle fixed today. The dealer replaced switch 78565-TEA-A81ZG. All works fine again.

There was no cost to me since I have the extended warranty, but even without that the cost would have been reasonable. They showed $75 for the part and $75 for labor.

zman and insightman like this.
  18. alter

alter Member

Where are you located? I got this quoted a few months back in ontario and it came in at over 400 bucks all in... Also, i think it might be some sort of dirt as my switch seems to be working better right now..

In other news my head unit stopped working and i have to take out a personal loan to pay the 9k it will cost to replace it

zman likes this.
  19. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

This is nuts !
    Look for a used one.

Used ones sell in the $200 - $300 range. Check eBay.

20. Did they provide a price breakdown for the proposed work? The unit has a MSRP of ~$2500USD and is readily available for ~$1700USD. Even in Canadian currency there is an unexplained difference of nearly $6000.

21. alter

alter Member

it's an exceptionally rare car. last time i checked there weren't any used ones

No, there was no price breakdown, but I got a friend of mine to get the list price for the parts through his contact at honda and it checks out. the screen is around 4k and the control unit is around 3k and the rest is labour and tax. I also confirmed it with another dealership because of the lack of price breakdown, but i also don't want to spend another 150 dollars diagnosing so will probably be going with the first quote.

22. David Towle

Sarasota Florida Honda. Here is the invoice, .5 hour labor and $73.31 for the part.

IMG_0125.jpg

23. alter

alter Member

That is a crazy markup we have here in canada then, and they definitely said it would be an hour of labour because they would have to remove the steering column