"Refill Inverter Fluid" Problems.. :(

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by doggyworld, May 10, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

So I had a "refill inverter fluid" warning the other day [it was actually at the low line] and the dealership said they are all out of the LC blue coolant. He recommend I just top it off with distilled water which is what I did in the mean time.

Since then, occasionally, the "refill inverter fluid" is still showing up even though it looks like the line is still at the max or close to the max point. I can't see any leak in the engine bay nor does it look like it's leaking anywhere under the car. The line maybe lowered a smidge from last week, so maybe there's a slow leak, but where is it going?

Also, has anyone had any luck getting the LC blue fluid from Hyundai? I've heard maybe they're out of stock because they're switching to a different fluid??

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

Well crap.. after more research, it sounds like the dealership told me bad advice as I wasn't supposed to mix the blue coolant with water. :(

Anyone know what I can do now? Will a full flush fix it? Did I permanently damage my car? :(

4. Is the mixture causing a sensor fault, or is it just a level sensor that misbehaved?

I'm wondering where the missing fluid escaped.

5. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

I actually don't know.. the warning goes away usually after I shut off and turn the car back on. I'm not sure where the sensor is. Anyone else dealt with this?

I'm tempted to think that adding the water shouldn't permanently damage the system as I'm sure it's probably premixed somehow with water.. but what do I know.

6. The left-hand thread and icon of a mechanic on the cap is supposed to deter DIY.
    I'd be more worried about where the coolant is going and your dealer needs to get on top of that in case it's leaking inside the battery pack. You may want to try other local dealers if you're using Stevens Creek because several other Hyundai owners have not been happy with them. You certainly haven't permanently damaged your car from adding water (even though it's not correct to do that) so don't worry about that.

On top of all that, word has it that there is a TSB out regarding the warning you mentioned, but it seems better known in Germany and UK at the moment and started off with the Ioniq. I posted about this a month or two back here. The result is the cooling system is flushed and a different coolant installed - all at Hyundai's expense.

https://www.ioniqforum.com/threads/coolant-warning.38495/page-25#post-563559

https://www.goingelectric.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=85509&sid=ecda97fdffb28fb24f2236c22a0bd747

https://www.speakev.com/threads/refill-inverter-coolant.176258/#post-3430339

22kona likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

Thanks.. I was using Capitol Hyundai, but not really a fan of them either. They just happened to by 3 miles from my house. :(

I contacted Fremont Hyundai and they said they aren't actually authorized to work on EV's yet, which is weird because they sell EV's! Might have to go down to Gilroy if no other options.

I wonder if our Kona's will get a TSB. Unfortunately, mine is now at 65k miles so out of warranty for my 2019.

Last edited: May 10, 2023
  9. With advice like this
    I wouldn't be a "fan" as well:eek:
    I would advise to get a reputable authorized repair depot to order the newer BC2 coolant and have flushed and replaced. Unfortunately no sign of any TSB (at least in Canada) as of yet.

10. I would expect the cooling system to be part of the electric systems and so be covered.

upload_2023-5-11_9-14-27.png

Found this Australian receipt on FB's Kona group:
    345626084_2131178400404343_5405800524192699865_n-2.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2023
  11. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

Unfortunately, I was told that the coolant is on backorder for at least a month now. :(

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Cross search the part number with KIA and Genesis dealers. They likely use the same coolant.

14. Due to your following post, I am confused why your 2019 model would require the Low conductivity Blue coolant as model years starting mid 2020 only.
    From my understanding, any coolant that was previously green and has been replaced with pink.
    As an easy verification I suggest you check the cap to see what is required
    [​IMG]

15. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

They replaced mine with blue when they did the battery swap I think (maybe a couple years ago?). It's definitely not pink. What is the pink fluid?

16. I will let the expert ring in on that one (hint...@KiwiME)

17. Well, best indicate which cap you have in the image EE posted, left or right. That's what determines the original fill.

Hyundai changed their conventional coolant from green to pink sometime over the last few years. Early Kona EVs with green coolant originally installed get a pink coolant top-off when the battery is replaced. Because some green coolant remains in the system the net result turns out a light red.

Kona EVs (and later classic Ioniq) with the blue coolant would have been topped up with the same coolant at battery replacement.

But due to a different issue that has arisen over the past few months many Konas (perhaps all) with blue coolant are apparently all being flushed out and replaced with a different blue coolant. There doesn't seem to be any way to know which blue coolant is installed other than what's on the service record.

The new 2024 Kona model (and 2023 Kia Niro EV) has pink coolant installed because they designed out the reason for the blue coolant.

22kona and electriceddy like this.