portable charger / EVSE options

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Louis W, Oct 8, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Louis W

Louis W Member

I've been looking for a second portable charger to keep in my car, so I thought I'd dump my findings here in case anyone else finds it useful.

I live in an apartment, so I was in the market for a portable EVSE that was capable of level 1 and 2 charging; Level 1 for now and Level 2 in case I ever move into a place with a 240V plug. I wanted one with both NEMA 5-15 (standard household AC plug in the US) and NEMA 14-50 plugs or adapters. The latter also seems to be a standard for RVs, so it might be easier to find out in the wild.

I also wanted something safety-rated. This narrowed the field by a lot and eliminated popular brands like Lectron. I considered:
    • Shell 32-amp SEV-32-01 and 40-amp SEV-40-01
    • Clipper Creek AmazingE Fast
    • an OEM charger like the Mini flexible fast charger
    • Webasto Turbocord
    I eliminated the Clipper Creek due to price and because out of the box it was NEMA 14-50 only. The Webasto is an older charger and maxed out at 16A @ 240V, while the others were capable of twice that (32A). It's also discontinued and some were recalled, and since I was planning to buy secondhand, I didn't want to run that risk.

This left the Shell chargers and an OEM option. The Shell charger is certified by SGS (a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory, or NRTL) to UL standards. My understanding is that UL won't certify Shell because it includes a 14-50 to 5-15 adapter. In contrast, the OEM chargers are listed because they use different proprietary adapters for each plug, and so average Joe can't use one to plug an RV into a house outlet.

On OEM chargers, only the latest ones can charge level 2. You can tell by reading the input voltages. This ruled out ones from Ford, Nissan, Hyundai, and Chevrolet. The newer charger for the MachE and Lightning were good options, but expensive. The new Mini charger is also good on paper, but expensive and hard to find. KIA does not include a charger with their EVs at all.

Lastly, the Tesla Mobile Connector is common, proven, but would require a Tesla to J1772 adapter, e.g. TeslaTap. I had originally planned to get one anyway so that I could use Tesla Destination chargers, but these days J1772 chargers seem to be more common, and so I started to doubt how useful it'd be.

In the end, I almost purchased the Shell 32A charger, but I found a good deal on a secondhand Rivian charger for $240. It has adapters for both plugs, it's J1772 natively, it can charge at 32A, and the price was right.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Great write up! It is surprisingly difficult to find a good modular EVSE that meets safety standards.

The Tesla Mobile connector is the gold standard. UL-listed, inexpensive, can charge at 12A on L1, 8 different NEMA heads available.

I've come across a good number reports of melted outlets from the Ford and Audi mobile connectors. The Tesla connector will derate if it senses heat in the outlet. Note that they start to call them "occasional use" chargers which is pretty lame. If you're going to provide a charge cable, make it robust enough to be used!

They are now including the BMW flexible fast charger with SEs, so I am set with that. The additional NEMA connectors are ridiculously overpriced however ($106-210 EACH).

Are you running the SE on L1? Looks like the Rivian EVSE will provide 12A on level 1, unlike the BMW which does only 10A. Curious to hear how much faster that charges. In any event, nice find!

carrrl likes this.
  4. Louis W

Louis W Member

Yes, L1 only for now. The car hasn't arrived yet, but I can update in a few weeks once I compare it with the stock charger. It's a 2023 so I'm expecting to get the new flexible charger (part number 61-90-5-A13-8C4). I considered getting a second one, but they're so expensive.

I agree the Tesla was a good option. It's still a good option if you want the Tesla to J1772 adapter. However, I don't know if any of the adapters are safety rated, so it wouldn't have been ideal. I think two years ago, I would've gone this route because J1772 was not as common.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  5. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

Your process was similar to mine.
    However I wanted more options like a dryer outlet etc so o failed to find any unit that would do 32A in addition to the other requirements at least not without spending a lot more. So as it would be emergency use only I settled on a Max Green model.
    Ironically I later bought a Tesla Tap anyway for destination charger use so if I had known that I would have bought a Tesla Mobile Connector with their adapter pack especially since it’s so competitively priced for what it is…

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The MINI Flexible Fast Charger seems to be everything the Tesla Mobile Connector is, except no need for the J1772 adapter and it charges up to 9.6 kW.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. polyphonic

It’s really close. My Flexible Fast Charger says 10A max for L1.

Those additional connectors come in handy. I swapped a receptacle to run a NEMA 5-20 (16A to the Tesla) on a 20A line. $2 upgrade :)
    The bump seemed to be more meaningful than 4A, possibly due to the overhead of battery cooling, etc.

9. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

I also went Tesla Mobile Connector and the full suite of adapters. You can even get a TT-30, honestly the most handy IMO. Camp grounds and RV parks everywhere use them, rarely NEMA 14-50, and even rarer still is a rouge dryer outlet in a reachable spot.

10. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    Yeah - all those different adapters available for the Tesla Mobile Connector really are slick. There really are no other solutions like that. Ironically, i got one as a solution for charging away from home in my Tesla i had ordered. I backed out on the order but then still had this charger. I got a Tesla Tap and i was good to go.

F14Scott likes this.
  11. Louis W

Louis W Member

Good to know. I thought 14-50 was more common, but if that's not the case, then sounds like the Tesla charger could be better for some.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Apparently there are many adapter cables available for the Flexible Fast Charger (see original post). Availability is probably the biggest issue with the charger, whereas the Tesla charger can be found on eBay.

[​IMG]

Louis W and Nelly H like this.
  14. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Tesla UMC2 here. Mine was a dirt cheap euro version with a Mennekes. I cut that off and fitted a J1772. This needs a serious crimping tool, however. There are people out there butchering UMC2s for money.
    I have the full set of Tesla adaptors and one I made up for a CS8365 208v outlet at work. Pigtails for custom adaptors as well as many others are available from EVSEadaptors.com
    Minis only charge at a max of 7.2kW on single phase.

When I was setting up my wall charger, I tried it 110 first, my Mini would not take more than 16A, though the EVSE was offering it 24A. A TT30 would still be useful, if you don't mind 4% charge per hour.

mmexport1664244168248.jpg

F14Scott likes this.
  15. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

If you don't want to pay for a public charger, the 110 unit is basically useless if the SE is your only car and you drive more than 50 miles in a day. About 10 hours to get 50 miles. Mine is in the trunk in case of emergency. Next on my list is a long extension cord to be prepared for such emergency. Like a cigarette lighter, the charger is just dead weight in the car increasing my fuel consumption per mile.

16. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Yep I did the quick math in my head and decided that I could probably still find a DC station more easily than a 120 V outlet if I am “stuck” somewhere on the road. It’s just deadweight so I put it in the garage.

Rogwp likes this.
  17. pictsidhe

My J1772 Tesla kit lives under the boot floor. I feel that it is more useful there than at home... I can use it to charge at up to 7.2kW. Adaptors for 5-15, 5-20, 6-15, 6-20, 6-50, 10-30, 14-30, 14-50, CS8365C.
    I also have an as yet untested Chinese Tesla adaptor. I should add a TT-30, an extension cord and maybe a tow rope.

I want to try tow charging sometime. Looks like with full regen, 1kWh per mile is possible. Max power is likely 50kW.

Hatch likes this.
  18. SameGuy

YUL
    Lol I’m pretty sure the L1 cable will remain untouched while I own this car. With the proliferation of CCS stations everywhere and anywhere near where I’ll ever find myself with this car, I can’t ever see a need for any other interface, nor the need to keep any of them in the car. At most I might get a Teslatap, and only throw it in the boot if I’m going a longer run along a different route than I usually take. To each their own.

19. pictsidhe

If anyone is interested, I have an unused BMW 40A EVSE. Unexpectedly came with my 23 SE, but I had my Tesla kit ready for it. Has 5-15 and 14-50 adaptors. Send me a message.

20. pictsidhe

I don't know where you are, but plugshare shows some black holes in EVSE coverage outside my homecharge range. Having a kit in the boot also means that destinations with outlets rather than EVSEs are easier. I was occasionally using a CS8365 outlet at work until some safety Nazi decided it was dangerous to charge EVs. At some point, I'm going to refuse to go on an unexpected mission as I lack the charge. I cut it fine when called back in at 10pm on Friday evening...

So far, I have needed to charge out of range once. There was a free 5kW j1772 1/4 mile from where I was for the day. My destination wouldn't share their electrons ☹️. Quite a few places to charge enroute, but destination charging is easier! If there is no public EVSE 50miles from somewhere, I need a plan B. Most EVSEs in my state are level 2 the level 3s are clustered in cities.

Once I'm in the EV groove and have some trips under my belt, I'll chill out a bit.

21. polyphonic

Don’t forget renters! If BMW releases a connector for 5-20 I’d scoop it up right away. 15A (mini’s L1 max) vs 10A is quite a difference.

22. SameGuy

YUL
    6-20?

polyphonic likes this.