Pedestrian Warning Error ..The issue and Fix

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by OneEV, Mar 30, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

I was banned over the VW forum because I brought this up so warning if you head over and try to share.. lets just say they are very very sensitive forum moderators..(omg someone might disable it and then it would be our fault :rollseyes:

anyway ..so a few months back I was getting a very annoying error message and dinging that the pedestrian warning system was working . Now I knew I could just use a resistor and disable it and or simply unplug it .

That wasnt my issue , I have no intentions of disabling a working pedestrian warning..you're ever in n accident witha pedstrian and you have the warning system disabled you will be sued and most likely found liable.

My problems was it was already not working andI was more interested in figuring out WHY .. well I drive Uber everyday and my ID 4 goes through the car wash almsot daily and since I live in Minnesota I use the car wash that sprays the underbody as well as top of car.

So the pedestrian warning system is just a modules that mounts in the front right (passenger) side of the car .. just back about 6 inches and down a few inches from headlight. It's a module that also contains te speaker for the pedestrain warning sound and yep water was getting in and had shorted it out .. !

So If your pederstian warning system ever goes out and you do alot of car washes and recently drove through a lot of water ..thats probabbly why.

Mine was under warranty so not a big deal. If out of warranty still not a big deal I see you can get them for a couple hundred bucks and the module is simply mounted with 3 bolts anmd the power plug. Hope that helps if you run into this issue

Heres what the error warning looks like on the screen
    upload_2024-3-30_14-26-18.png

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Really? I'm imagining, VW Forum: "Mr. OneEV, you are hereby banned from this forum because you revealed how to replace a broken ID. 4 component." Perhaps mentioning the resistor was the straw that broke the admin's back?

4. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

lol.. Yes I agree the Admin was spineless..

The Resistor is just one more way of disabling it.. big deal it's all over the internet. Not even needed the EASIEST way is to simply unplug it.

The Bottom line is it wasnt working . so lets get together and figure out what the issue is . Lets first start by disabling it and figure out what the issue is. But oh no even discussing it was scary for them lol .

We have to remember that that Forum is owned by a corporate enity called verticalscope that runs thousands of forums ... so I am more than happy not to generate topics , discussions and $$$ for them .

5. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

upload_2024-4-1_14-21-22.png back to actually helping drivers tht run into this issue.. Here is what the Module looks like and what you can expect to pay after your warranty runs out..so you see they are cheap. and you can see just plug and play. I think 3 bolts to the bracket and thats it.

upload_2024-4-1_14-21-22.png

electriceddy likes this.
  6. Thanks for the info, I am sure it will help others in the future.
    In the Kona EV the "box" is under the front bumper assembly, which may keep it drier however cost and effort to replace requires a lot more work.
    Did you attempt to "waterproof" the new module or just install it the same way it came out?

OneEV likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

Just installed it. I actually asked the tech if he coud wrap the electrical plug but he said that wasnt the issue the plugs are already sealed and water most likely came in from the speaker holes.

upload_2024-4-2_6-49-51.png

Much like the Kona EV the ID 4 module is also in the front and covered with the the plastic/rubber protective sheild that runs from fron to the back of the car. looked like Water coming from wheel well area . Just shorted it out. The high pressure underbody wash pretty strong. anyway just good to know it is a easy cheap fix.

BTW.. what happens is you first get the warning light inside and a message ..paraphrasing ..that the electrical sound generater not working , that you can still drive the vehicle but take extra caustion at intersections

Problem is that you get a warning Chime inside the vehicle that goes off every minute .very annoying . You cant put up with that for days or even weeks until dealer can get the part and installed. So just unplug it.

The error remains on the screen but you no longer get the annoying chime.

So this is entirely different from the "resistor" solution.. (that the other forum was freaking out about ...you cant even mention it)

the resistor fools the computer into thinking that the modual is working just fine and you get no error messages and no warning chimes. That process COULD be used to try and hide the fact that you disabled the msound generator/module..

so for example you have an accident and hit a pedestrian well one of the first things the insurance companies will do is ask for a list of error messages to confirm/ or show the module was or wasnt working depending on if you are prosecution or defendant.

In my case the Module WASNT working and the message VW puts on the screen is , it's ok to drive just be careful at intersections. so just unplug it to get rid of the annoying chime.

So to be Clear my stance is SAFETY for everyone do NOT disable the sound generator/module to because you dont like the sound . You could hurt/kill someone and everyones life changed forever.

If the module is broken and not working and you cant get it fixed for 2 weeks while you wait for parts/opening at dealer..well upto you ..do you want to listen to the warning chime literally every 60 seconds for 2 weeks or just unplug it.. not working anyways is my view

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
  9. papab

papab Member

Anybody know how to change the sound?

10. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

I have OBD 11 but see no options to change sound, Im sure at some point someone will. Then again you are running a big risk playing with safety devices. If you hit a pedestrian after you change sounds to say "chirpiing birds" or whatever the defence will still get you convicted for altering a safety device.

Pedestrian , the last thing I remeber hearing were birds chirping :D

so yeah changing it not a good idea

11. papab

papab Member

I was thinking more along the lines of 4 cyl boxer rumble

12. To remove this ad click here.