Oxford Plant Shutdown

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by BiggieSmall, Mar 12, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. BiggieSmall

BiggieSmall Member

First off, I realize the answer to my questions below is “Nobody knows.” but I’m taking a shot in the dark here!

With that said…Does anyone have an update on the situation at the Oxford plant?

Latest update I see is they were shutting down 3/7-3/18. Is the plant on schedule to restart?

Also, if anyone has inside info (dealers?)…how will this affect build/delivery estimates? I believe the plant was in the process of switching to 2023 specs…

I personally have an Iconic SE on order and was told the dealer had a March build slot allocated for it. I’m expecting the order to be delayed, just wondering if anyone has information on the situation.

TIA!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

I've heard that it's mostly a silicon shortage on the SE's. I ordered one exactly one week ago online and confirmed it at the dealership the next day. They told me regardless of the trim level I specified on a 2023 I was looking at a 3-4 month lead time. I ordered a BRG signature SE. I'm hoping it comes within that time. My fear is I think it's possible it could take up to 6 months or more because of the global supply chain issue. Concerning also to me is the coming neon gas shortage which is what they use to make silicon chips.

4. BiggieSmall

BiggieSmall Member

Hard to be sure of anything but considering these first orders were slated to be built right around now, it’s probable that most of the materials needed are available for the restart.

Based on the fact that there was a restart date scheduled, my guess would be they were running low on some parts (chips for sure) and wanted to stock back up to run the plant at or near full capacity.

It’s terribly inefficient to run a plant at say 50% capacity I’d imagine.

moncureww likes this.
  5. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Intend somewhere that most wiring harnesses for VW and BMW groups were from Ukraine.

6. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

Yes, the wiring looms made by Leoni. But that is probably not the most difficult to source - the chips can probably only be made in one factory or one part of the world.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CorgiCanoe

CorgiCanoe Member

9. BiggieSmall

BiggieSmall Member

moncureww likes this.
  10. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

I think no one can predict much of anything with the way things are in the world right now. I ordered a 2023 SE sig last week, and I'm not getting to excited about it coming in very soon.

wessy likes this.
  11. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

My status just changed to "Production Begins" from "Production Scheduled" which is pretty impressive in the factory is closed. Well see how long before I move into "Body Assembly Begins"

MichaelC likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

Well that’s kind of odd, but exciting for you either way.

14. CorgiCanoe

CorgiCanoe Member

You had me frantically checking to see if mine had changed too...nope, still "Scheduled for Production".

15. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

The delay from "production begins" to "exterior assembly" is typically 10 - 15 days, and that's without any supply chain issues. So hopefully that means yours will be one of the first ones to go down the line once the plant resumes! Cool that your status updated.