Oil change?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by JulianClarity, May 10, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JulianClarity

JulianClarity Active Member

I was just prompted for an upcoming A01 service and I have 6100 miles, which I think at least 4000 are gas miles. Do I need to have an oil change or some type of service?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

This is a common problem and aggravating to those of us who have little miles, time, or starts on their engine. Note that the manual says you can go up to one year if the MM does not trigger for an oil change.

Some (myself included) have found that performing the 0 (inspection) and 1 (tire rotation) and resetting these 2 service intervals will extend the oil change (A) MM interval for several months. This is due for the fact that Honda programs it to aggregate services so as to reduce the number of times you have to go in for device by moving up some services to coincide. (I’m sure it’s just a coincidence that this approach also makes more money for the dealers...sarcastic font enabled).

There has been much speculation as to whether or not a failure to follow the MM could result in Honda using it to deny a future engine warranty claim. I decided the risk of that was not worth the small amount saved by an early oil change especially since mine let me go 11 months and 3 weeks on my low milage first year. Your degree of risk aversion may vary.

Try resetting the inspection and tire rotation and see if it lets you go longer on the oil change. Then let us know so we’ll have another data point.

4. AaD

AaD Member

We reset just the rotation code (1) when it asked for an A01 at around 15000 miles and it gave us another 4500 or so before asking again. We went ahead and changed the oil (and finally got the various updates) at 20,000 miles. We had previously changed it at 7500 before we knew of this little trick, so it gave us around 12k miles, which seems reasonable for our use.

5. JulianClarity

JulianClarity Active Member

Thank you guys!