Oil change engine start

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Alex800st, Aug 16, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

On every oil change had to google that stupid procedure to get the engine started.
    Today just turn on the car and hold HV button to turn on HV charge, and it started. Much easier.

MrFixit and insightman like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

My approach is to not even bother with running the engine before draining the oil.

As long as it's not very cold outside, this synthetic oil is quite thin at ambient temperature and I think it drains just as completely whether the engine is warm or just ambient temperature.

I agree with running the engine when you are done in order to get the new oil circulating, fill the filter, check for leaks, and double-check the final level, but I don't think there is any reason to let the engine warm up as in the old days. HV Charge as you suggest is a good idea (of course you have to be below 60% SOC for HV charge to work)...

My experience has been that filling with the specified 3.5 quarts (with a filter change) has worked out to be exactly right.

4. That’ll work if the battery is below 60%, or 12 bars. Alternatively, you could take the car for a quick drive and floor the accelerator to trigger the ICE. Or, be smart and save the instructions once rather than search for them repeatedly.

5. Johnhenkles

Johnhenkles New Member

I don't bother starting the engine before or after changing the oil adding oil; I simply trust that the oil will be where I put it. Before installing the oil filter it, I fill it with oil.