Nice Supercharger changes

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Jan 11, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I charged at Lowe's in Alabaster AL where there was a row of Gen 4, fast DC chargers:
    • Appeared to be a dual CCS-1 and Tesla plug. Light weight, flexible, long cable with plenty of slack. There is a slight change in the Tesla plug but I didn't take a picture.
    • A 'dip' instead of an underbody and receiver hitch scraping, concrete curb. Initially a surprise, it gives the driver a clear signal that they are positioned correctly without damage to the bumper or underbody, aero shield.
    • Many are rotated 90 degrees so you park along side instead of backed all the way in. Makes it easier to plug in and the side mirrors make backing in easy.
    I certainly encourage my CCS-1 brethren to get an adapter and/or try the Gen 4 chargers. A lot of latent issues I've had with Tesla chargers (never charging but parking) are getting solved. I didn't time it but it got to charging mode a little quicker than the older Gen 2 and possibly some Gen 3 chargers.

Bob Wilson

Mark W and andyG59 like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. After using the V3 Magic Dock site to charge our Mach E last September in Brewster NY, I am definitely looking forward to getting an adapter and trying a V4 dispenser as well as adapters with V3 where permitted. One V4 location I look forward to trying is in Marion IL along I-57 on the route of our next planned trip from FL to IA. Someone posted in our SWFL EV FB group that a couple of local V3 sites have had the parking bumpers and Tesla parking signs removed (signs were removed afterward in Brewster), so I am wondering if that is in preparation for non-Tesla vehicles that will need to park closer for the cable to reach. With the Mach E at V3 back-in/end dispensers, I would have to park in the adjacent space at angle for the cable to reach the Mach E front left fender charge port location, so I will use V3 back-in/end less than V3 side or V4 dispensers.