Need your advice on the home chargers..

Discussion in 'General' started by meyra, Mar 6, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. meyra

meyra New Member

Hello guys,

I recently started my PhD in the field of Electric Vehicles and I am asked to give a short presentation to cover three key questions on Friday but I am not very expert and I am slightly nervous.

I would like your advice on any of these questions, even if it is only a sentence. Feel free to express your opinion please.
    1. How should EV manufacturers approach implementing a global home charging solution?
    2. What is the customer experience and the manufacturer's business proposition while implementing a home charging solution?
    3. Should EV manufacturers design home chargers or not? Why? If not, who should design them?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

1. Many people on the globe don't own their homes, so they have nowhere to set up a home charging station. EV manufacturers cannot solve this dilemma, only governments can. Society's unequal distribution of wealth and the high cost of EVs will make this problem very difficult to solve. Forcing rental housing owners to provide EV charging will drive up the cost of that housing, reducing the ability of those renters to afford the EVs that would use those charging stations.

2. The customer experience at this time is all over the map. Tesla, the EV leader, is no longer including EVSEs with the cars they sell. Those who can afford an EV may already have an EVSE or may choose a fancier (eg. programmable and data-connected) EVSE than others want. It will be interesting to see how many $1,310 bi-directional EVSEs Ford sells to customers who want to be able to power their homes with the battery in their F-150 Lightning trucks. The cost of installation is considerable--probably equal or greater than the cost of the EVSE.

3. Some EV owners would like to have the same brand of EVSE on the wall of their garage as the brand of their EV (again, if they own a home and garage). Others want the latest-and-greatest technology (programmable and data-connected). Still others want the least-expensive solution and will accept a Level 1 charging cord even though charging will take a long, long time.

More thoughts:
    One barrier to a global solution is the lack of an agreed-upon standard connector for EV charging--govenmental edict will be necessary to solve this problem. After the connector problem is solved, EVs need to charge in the same time it takes to fill a gas tank. Then the gas-station model for EV charging stations will be able to support people who don't own a home where they can install an EVSE. Unfortunately, the current (no pun intended) cost of non-home fast charging is typically expensive.

Good luck with your PhD. If you discover the solution to EV home charging for people who don't own homes, you will become rich.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    meyra likes this.
  4. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

This seems a little fishy to me.

If you’re pursuing a PhD, you need to be pursuing well controlled research. There are plenty of publications out there that have critically evaluated the questions you’re asking here.

Those should carry more weight than the individual anecdotes, as poignant as they may be, that you can gather here ad hoc. I want to be Mr. Positive, but I wouldn’t base your presentation on questions in a message board.

insightman likes this.
  5. meyra

meyra New Member

I've already done my research and come up with answers. I was looking to get some more insights, and thanks to the first comment I have done so.

6. meyra

meyra New Member

Thank you sir. Some good answers there, especially the first one. I do agree that government should take more turn in this aspect!

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

In 2016 when I got my first, a 2014 BMW i3-REx, so I went with a Jukebox 40 Pro:
    • Over WiFi it stored metrics on the vendor service that owners could read.
    • We could also tailor charging to limit quantity, rate, or hours.
    • Box hard enough to drive nails.
    Bob Wilson