NACS Retrofit

Discussion in 'General' started by CorgiCar, Jul 2, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CorgiCar

CorgiCar New Member

With the charger wars seemingly coming to an end, so you think we’ll ever see a NACS retrofit kit for existing CCS cars? The signaling being common makes it seem like adapters are possible (and exist already), so a retrofit seems possible too.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Like hoped-for solid-state Li-Ion battery replacements when they become a possibility, purchasing and installing kits to convert CCS charging ports to NACS would likely be too expensive, considering the declining value of older EVs. Reasonably priced adapters will soon be available.

If there was a popular EV that has been selling in numbers large enough to prompt an aftermarket company to engineer an NACS replacement port for that EV, it might happen, but the majority of EVs already have an NACS charging port.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

You raise an interesting question. What has happened to the earlier EVs, especially the compliance ones?

Bob Wilson

5. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I’ve used the MagicDock adaptors to charge my CCS on NACS. They are pretty small and I’m sure they cost a lot less than a refit on the car. We will just have to live with traveling with adaptors until our cars are off the roads. That’s my guess.

Domenick and insightman like this.
  6. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

The adapters will be a bit of a pain for people that road trip alot or don't have a home charging setup. It will become a muscle memory quick enough that it won't be noticeable.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I’d be willing to live with an adaptor. Then again, I’m already willing to live with the CCS network for my travels so overall an adaptor plus Supercharger access would be better.