My Clarity in the shop today

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Dan Albrich, Nov 29, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Starting yesterday, my Clarity refused to charge. The display reads "System Power, Plug-in Charging System Problem. Range Limited."

I took it to the dealer. Since the 12v battery is 4 years old, asked them to replace it. I didn't have an appointment but I figured they'd do a battery on short notice. I was hoping it just needed a new 12v. Anyway, the replacement didn't work so I scheduled diagnosis today.

I do have the extended warranty (8 yrs version, lowest deductible). The check-in lady scared me a bit indicating that if the problem is caused by mice (or similar) then its not covered of course. Makes sense, I don't think I have mice in the garage, but that scared me.

Anyway, I'll post an update when I know more. If this drags on for days I will likely see if the dealer can do a loaner car. I think the extended warranty includes 6 days of rental if need be.

-Dan

Daniel M W likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The charger and related parts are covered under the 15 year, 150K mile Fed/Cal Emissions warranty as well. I’d imagine that neither warranty would cover rodent damage, neglect or abuse.

4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Although we did not have any 'damage', we did have a rodent in the garage-kept Clarity. When you get your car back (depending on the outcome) you may want to check your cabin filter. That seems to be a favorite spot for rodents to build a home in the Clarity. This has been covered extensively in another thread.

5. Dan Albrich

So the update. The error message itself is the same one I got prior to the 18-097 software update at a public charger. In that instance, the error cleared when removing a connector (negative) from the 12v battery, replacing it, and driving around a bit. Not the case this go-round. Same error, but would not clear.
    Also in this instance, the check engine light came on and stayed on. I tried charging at home and public charger, no gotty. I tried HV-charge and no gotty. The % of charge was at 7% in the Hondalink app when the problem started, and went down to 4% and 1 bar on the dash when checked in with the dealer. It does appear that < 5% is when one sees 1 bar of EV range.

The dealer didn't know what the problem was so called Honda technical support. They were instructed to replace the charger, and they did.
    The notes say 'Replace battery charger - bleed coolant system and now charging at this time.'

The statement estimates cost of repair at $4654.
    Part # 1C600-5WJ-A11 "Charger." Cost says $0, billed to "VSC," so it was free to me.

The car drove home normally, and I can charge at home again. I did ask the person at the dealer directly if there was any sign of rodent damage. Yep, I know maybe dangerous question, but if this is occurring I need to know to stop it. They said none was found. No rodent damage.

They had to keep the car this week to diagnose and get the part.
    And for reference the code pulled is/was: P0D27

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  6. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Glad they didn't make you wait forever to fix it, gives me some hope for support if components fail. Congratulations!

Daniel M W and Dan Albrich like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Dan Albrich

Thanks Robert. Yes, I feel lucky and blessed; I'm really glad to have my car back same week.

I warned the wife that this particular problem might be sort of a long wait. Either due to parts, complexity or both. I was surprised when they later called me, told me they could fix it, and I'd have the car back on Friday (today).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    Daniel M W and Robert_Alabama like this.