Munro on Tesla plug

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Nov 20, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Smaller, cheaper, and better performance, the procurement staff may force the change.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If Elon wanted to create a "standard," he should have opened this up back in 2012. It's not as if it would have hurt Tesla's competitive advantage over other EVs available in those olden days.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  4. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

It does make you think that this could be the the gateway to using Tesla superchargers by other manufactures, Aptera may be the first.

insightman likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

I don’t see Tesla making a CCS-socket to Tesla socket adapter.

Years ago the J1772 committee screwed up by not adding a strong DC specification. The FRANKENSTEIN plug shouts kludge.

Bob Wilson

6. bwilson4web

Sorry, Tesla did for their Teslas. Not for CCS socket EVs.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Are you sorry for Tesla who originally made their charging-system designs proprietary but finally realized they made a mistake and now want them to be an industry standard?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  9. bwilson4web

Since the growth of Superchargers exceeds my expected battery degradation, no regrets. In fact, I’m not fond of non-Tesla EVs trying to use Superchargers. For example I saw a Leaf owner leave in disgust when they could not Supercharge. Apparently there is a hack that claims to work but not in their case that day.

Supercharger envy is a thing. But having a CCS equipped BMW i3, I am ambivalent about getting the Tesla released adapter. Slow, expensive, and unreliable has little appeal.

BTW, the local Supercharger rate is $0.33/kWh versus $0.12 home rate. I only use the local Supercharger when

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  10. bwilson4web

I only use the local supercharger when in town without my reserve range, 50 miles.

Bob Wilson