Microcharges since 960 update

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by TheLight75, Nov 18, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

Since I got the 960 update last month, I’ve noticed that after finishing a L2 charging session at 90%, if I leave the plug connected overnight, it will periodically have a micro charging session that lasts 16 seconds for 0.015 kWh. Last week, I got the 196 update and now it seems like it’s doing it every hour after charging stops.

Has anyone else noticed this? I wonder what the purpose is for it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

So if you leave your TV on standby, is it still consuming power?

4. srkz

srkz New Member

The 960 update added in additional checking of the HV battery when parked. They never said what exactly they were checking more frequently, but the most likely item would be to check cell voltages and temps, balancing any that are out of spec or running the cooling loop as needed to make sure there are no unexpected battery conditions which might lead to a fire while parked due to heat soak or ambient temperature changes or mechanical defect or whatever else.

In order to check and balance the HV battery more frequently when parked though, the computer and HV battery need to wake up more often, which means a little bit of parasitic drain on the batteries, and consequently a little bit of power drawn from the wall to balance out that drain.

You're not crazy for seeing it more often - the 960 update made it wake up and use battery power to give itself a little safety checkup much more frequently. Because it's plugged in it will top itself off more frequently as well.

Dag Lindquist and electriceddy like this.
  5. I did notice a couple of strange spikes recently:

Screenshot_20201123-171308_EV JuiceNet.jpg Screenshot_20201123-171404_EV JuiceNet.jpg
    The charge at the right end of the first one was a manual charge by me.

The ramp from 12:00 AM to 04:00 PM on the second one - I haven't the foggiest idea.