LKAS issue

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by JKroll, Dec 18, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JKroll

JKroll Member

Something happened recently and LKAS is acting strange and starts warning even at speeds of 37. Was going on ramp at 55 and still activated. Also was within lane on ramp curve.
    Wasnt doing that earlier when i bought the car in 18.

I dont think i have changed any settings. Dont know of dealer maintenance did.

Any ideas?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

I haven’t really paid close attention but I thought LKAS worked at all speeds. I mean I am sure there are limits. Admittedly most roads around me that have clear lane markers on both sides for LKAS to work tend to be those with higher speed limits.
    I do not see why it wouldn’t work at a speeds between 25 and 95 MPH. Given the right circumstances with lane markings and speed on a curve LKAS could easily give you a cautionary tug thinking your trajectory would put you close to the edge.

4. tim

tim Member

LKAS doesn't kick in for me until I hit about 45 mph. I agree that this is an arbitrary limit. On my Odyssey, LKAS kicks in earlier and stays enabled below 40 mph.

5. The manual states that one of the conditions that must be met in order for LKAS to operate is a vehicle speed between 45-90mph.

The Gadgeteer likes this.
  6. JKroll

JKroll Member

I am pretty sure i have seen mine kicked in at 44 recently on city roads. Earlier it never used to kick in that early.
    If if you disregard the speed aspect looks like it has been more sensitive ..
    Ideally you want it more sensitive on straight highway roads than on city streets which are one lane, narrow and frequently winding.

One more question -- is this something covered under 3 yr warranty? I also have a 8 yr extended.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JCA

JCA Active Member

Is it possible that we're talking about the Road Departure Mitigation (RDM), not Lane Keeping Assistance System (LKAS)? I think the speed range is the same for both (45-90 MPH), but they work differently. RDM is is more passive (can just be left enabled always), only activating when you are going out of lane without signalling and is the one that would be "warning" by vibrating the wheel, showing a message on the screen along with a beep, and sort-of trying to push the wheel in the right direction. The button for it is near your left knee, with a picture of a car crossing a lane. Is it possible it was disabled before and the dealer enabled it?

LKAS you need to actively enable each drive, and it attempts to actively steer to keep the car centered in the lane on its own; it doesn't warn or vibrate the wheel as it does so (it does warn and eventually disable itself if it doesn't sense a bit of resistance from your hands on the wheel). This is the LKAS button on the steering wheel.

The speeds in the manual are approximate, so I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see RDM activate if the speedometer showed 44, or if I was decelerating (so when it started detecting/activating I was going faster). And false activations can happen where the lines or patches in the road aren't as clear. If it is clearly falsing repeatably where it didn't before, it could be a camera alignment issue.

9. JKroll

JKroll Member

JCA thanks.. your explaination is perfect regarding dealer changing setting.
    According to ur description, I am talking of RDM -- steering wheel vibrating. That explains the mystery. I dont drive this car much, my wife does

Wonder if it is worth making a dealer visit for camera alignment assuming its covered under warranty.

10. JCA

JCA Active Member

Is it falsely activating often and repeatably in certain places, or just that once that you noticed?

I'd check that the windshield is clean where the camera looks out (no bugs/sap/etc). And for fun and experimentation, you can take it out on a good road with clear lines and no traffic, let it drift left and right without signalling and see if it seems to activate properly in each direction. If so, it's probably not the alignment.

I'd say 80% of the time when it triggers (which isn't all that often) it was clearly my fault; 15% of the time I can't blame the system (driving into the sun with a line of patches that I too might mistake for lane lines), and maybe 5% I'm not sure why it activated.