Living in a US state that doesn't sell Hyundai EVs, issues?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by NC-EV, Oct 24, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. NC-EV

NC-EV New Member

Hello everyone, I'm very interested in buying the 2022 Kona EV, but I'm in NC and the closest dealership that sells them is about 3 hours away. I'm willing to make the drive to buy one, but I'm curious if I'll have issues with getting the car serviced in NC. Has anyone had issues with service owning this car in a state that doesn't officially sell it, especially with the recent battery recalls?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    I’m a reservation holder for a IONIQ 5 in NC near Charlotte. Hyundai not only won’t sell it here like they stated they would but skipped us for the PHEV SantaFe and Tucson. Can I get anything serviced out of the state of sale and why is NC and about 30 other states black sheep to Hyundai? Seriously…is it that they’d rather sell it with higher MSRP’s in states that offer incentives on top of the Federal credit?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. DelRider

DelRider Member

Fortunately, with an BEV there isn't a whole lot of maintenance. Whether your local dealers can handle maintenance depends on the dealer and manufacturer requirements. Call your local dealers and ask the service departments if they have the training and equipment to service the car you're interested in.

As far as why are all BEVs not sold in all states, that comes down to the cost and effort to get enough batteries and Zero Emissions Vehicles (ZEVs) programs that some 8 or 9 states have signed on to. Basically, in these states manufactures are required to sell ZEVs to balance out the gasoline fleet. So they get the electric vehicles. Of course some makers, like GM, have the size and resources to sell BEVs where ever they want.

"ZEV means "zero emissions vehicle," and the ZEV states are the ones that have regulations requiring automakers to sell a certain volume of electric cars and trucks. CARB manages the ZEV program, which has now been adopted by Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Vermont." https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-cars/a1719091/autoweek-explains-carb-states-zev-states-smile-states/

5. cmyoung72

cmyoung72 New Member

Bought our 2019 Kona Ultimate in July 2019 from College Park Hyundai in Maryland and drove it back home to Durham. Have been taking it to Sport Durst for regular maintenance (tire rotation, annual State inspection, recall/warranty work) with no issues. Currently waiting for our replacement traction battery to arrive. After our last service visit to address Recall Campaign 200, the service manager said that the dealership has recently acquired the equipment needed to do the battery swap and has started training their techs. Not sure when the new battery will arrive, but hoping to get the swap done in the coming months.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs