L2 Chargers: Portable or 'Permanent'?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mike L, Mar 6, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I bought a Bolt last week, and am researching L2 chargers. I park in the garage at home, with a NEMA 15-40 outlet installed. I'd assumed I'd get an EVSE mounted on the wall for home charging, but the InsideEVs article on home chargers is all about portable L2 chargers. I see they're cheaper (good) and portable (good) but lower voltage (bad).

Anyone have experience living with a portable L2 for their regular EVSE? I don't typically drive more than 20-30 miles each day so I don't think I'd suffer with slower charging at home, but I'm also not sure I'd do enough traveling to need a portable L2.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

First off, I recommend a WiFi connected, 40 A EVSE. It lets you track usage and provides an additional level of management. They are very robust.

I have two, 31 A, EVSE, NEMA 14-30 and NEMA 14-50. One is a Chinese unit and the other Tesla. I am not a Bolt expert but the portable that comes with the car may handle 240 VAC. But it may still be limited to 12 A.

Bob Wilson

4. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Some folks are building a 240 volt to 120 volt extension cord and using the Bolt EVSE on 240 Volts. You just had to may sure the Bolt EVSE is the Clipper Creek version. See YouTube videos if interested.

5. I have a GE level 2 charger which came set to be either hard wired or to add a cord. I add a cord with a 14-50 plug. The charging can amps can be set to 12, 16, 24, and 30 I take it with me when I travel which is only once or twice a year. I usually just charge at home. I have used it on family and friends drier outlets, with adapters, when traveling. I set it at either 16 or 24 amps, it works quiet well. I don't have WI-fi and am not concerned about usage as I have solar and it doesn't cost me any thing. I have a kwh meter on it if I really want to check consumption. That just me, if you want and think you'll need wifi get it. There are several portable EVSE's on the market with adjustable amps and 14-50 plugs like mine. A few adapters and you can plug in almost any where including camp grounds. And as other have mentioned you can run a Bolt level One charge on 240 volts doubling the charge time. Here is a link to adapters to use the Bolt EVSE on 240volt outlets. https://evdoctor4earth1.weebly.com/

6. I only use the LVL1 charger that came with the car. I drive about 30 miles per day and it works great for me. When at home and charging over night it adds about 50 miles to the car which is enough to cover my driving.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It should have read "charging at 240 volts will cut your charge time in half". Thanks for catching that "Bob Wilson"

bwilson4web likes this.