kona EV and Inflation reduction act

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Bruce Jankowitz, Aug 15, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bruce Jankowitz

Bruce Jankowitz New Member

Hi,

Thinking strongly about purchasing my leased Kona EV at the end of my lease (early next year). Figured this qualifies as purchasing a used EV from a dealer. Is this correct and does this qualify for the credit?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sounds logical, but it would no doubt depend on the jurisdiction you live in.

4. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Did you not get the credit at the start of your lease? When I leased mine they credited it as part of the downpayment.

5. Hyundai leases are held by HMFUSA - you purchase from them, not a dealer. (I similarly converted my KIA Niro lease, most of my paperwork had the HMFUSA return address.)

6. Konas and the rest of the Hyundai EVs are made in Korea, so it may be difficult to get the rebate on them here.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

(Not financial advice)

I would not expect buying out a vehicle you're leasing would qualify. The "original use" of the vehicle must have occurred with an individual other than the one claiming the credit, and even though you are technically not the original owner, you are the original user. If this were permitted, anyone with an EV more than 2 years old could sell their car to a dealer, immediately buy it back, and split the $4K with the dealer. What a scam that would be!