Kona Electric DC fast charge speed

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Domenick, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Domenick

Domenick Administrator Staff Member

2. Esprit1st

Esprit1st Member

Just my two cents from yesterday:

Charged from 12% to about 78% on an EVGO 50kw charger. All the way through at a rate of 47kw. When it began to taper off at 76ish percent I unplugged and continued my trip. Outside air temperature was about 7-8°C (45F).

A second charging session about 2 hours later was from about 30% to about 60% also on an EVGO 50kw charger but it only delivered 37kw.

Not sure why.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Brennan Raposo and Domenick like this.
  3. cv_trail_runner

cv_trail_runner New Member

I just got my Kona (great car) and drove it from San Diego to the SF Bay Area yesterday, which required a few stops at EvGO chargers. I had some trouble getting them to charge it past 70%. The charger kept automatically shutting off at 70% and I had to re-initiate the session a few times to get it up to 80%. From 70% to 80%, I had to restart the charge 4 times. I spoke to EvGO's customer service and they didn't even have the Kona in the system. They said the issue might be because their system thought the car's charge % has already reached 80% and the charger shuts off.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Domenick likes this.
  4. Esprit1st

Esprit1st Member

Congrats! Did you get a the white limited? Maybe you picked it up at the same dealer I got my black premium.

I charged at a EVGo charger and it didn't stop at 70 % for me. Straight from 12% to %80.

5. cv_trail_runner

Nope, I got the Ceramic Blue one. I did meet the owners of the White Limited one at the EvGO station at the shopping mall right next door. It looks like we both needed some juice after leaving the dealer. The dealer had only a tiny little trickle charger.

6. Esprit1st

Esprit1st Member

Then it was a different dealer because he charged up the white limited for me to 100%. Just to find out I wanted the ultimate, which I told him on the phone.

Domenick likes this.
  7. cv_trail_runner

Hah yeah... I explicitly asked the dealer to pre-charge it for me since I had a long roadtrip ahead. They didn't plug it in until I got there. :( Other than that, the experience was actually quite pleasant. It was Bob Baker Hyundai in Carlsbad California, by the way.

8. Esprit1st

Esprit1st Member

Coming back from San Diego to Las Vegas again today I charged at a 175kw charger. My Kona received the charge at 70kw. Had been driving for 2.5 hours. Even though it was pretty cold outside I assume because of the driving the battery was nice and warm. Great to see it being able to charge that fast. 925067626.jpeg

electriceddy, Domenick and Vanryan like this.
  9. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

How are you liking the Ceramic Blue with the white roof, pillars, mirrors etc? I have the Ceramic Blue and I find it a bit bland, and I want to wrap mine like yours. Are you happy with it? Thanks.

10. electriceddy

electriceddy Member

Yep 300+ miles should warm up the pack. Wish we had that level of charging around here:rolleyes:

Kitsilano likes this.
  11. Esprit1st

Esprit1st Member

Yeah, that's the nice thing around this area. Lots of 50kw chargers. At the same station are actually two 350kw chargers as well. Not that it would help us, but pretty nice. :D