Items on the 30,000 mile maintenance minder?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Dan McInerney, Nov 16, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dan McInerney

Dan McInerney Member

I must have "erased" the maintenance minder that showed up at 30,000 miles on my 2018 Clarity Touring PHEV. Does anyone know the letters and numbers that show up on that minder? Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

The maintenance minder codes are not entirely based on mileage. Sometimes they are based on time intervals, or how many miles you have gone since last performing a specific operation. At around 26K I got a code of "A017", so perhaps yours was some combination of these.

"A017" is a combination of
    A - Oil & Filter Change
    0 - Inspection of brakes and various other items
    1 - Tire rotation
    7 - Brake Fluid Replacement.

These are pretty ordinary and expected except for the "7" which indicates brake fluid replacement.

Here is the complete legend to decode these messages:

upload_2023-11-16_19-15-13.png

upload_2023-11-16_19-15-25.png

Dan McInerney and BrianRC like this.
  4. It will depend on what work was performed previously, when it was done and the number of miles that have been driven since.

Ours is at about 36K miles. In March, at about 32K miles, it went in for an annual oil change, a brake fluid replacement, the customary inspection and a tire rotation. We change the oil annually, per the manufacturers recommendation, even though it may have less than 1000 miles on the engine over a 12 months period.

Shortly after that service the brains of the operation informed us that it was time to change the cabin air filter. That was a simple DIY project.

I believe all of that translates to: AO127 in Message Minderese.

Dan McInerney likes this.
  5. Dan McInerney

Dan McInerney Member

Thanks very much for your helpful post.

6. Dan McInerney

Dan McInerney Member

Many thanks. I'm grateful for your help.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Dan McInerney

Dan McInerney Member

Phew . . . luckily, I took a picture of the Maintenance Minder screen when it first came up (in July 2023 at about 28,900 miles). Just found the photo on my phone. The codes: A 0 1 2 3 7

9. MrFixit

Hum... I am at 43,000 miles and have not yet received the "3" (Transmission Oil).
    Clearly it varies from vehicle to vehicle. Mine is also a 2018 Touring (manufactured Aug 2018, Purchased Nov. 2018).

10. Dan McInerney

Dan McInerney Member

That is surprising. (But I purchased my 2018 Touring in late December 2017. Maybe there was a change in recommended maintenance during that time.)

11. Interesting that it would show 3 at 28,900 miles, which indicates a transmission fluid change is necessary. The manual states that a transmission fluid change may be required at 47,500 miles if the vehicle has been driven under certain conditions.

The wording suggests that the MM would not normally call for 3 at 47,500 miles so it is the responsibility of the owner to determine if the vehicle has been operated under conditions which warrant a transmission service at an interval that is shorter than what would normally trigger the MM.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MrFixit

Or it could be this is a function of calendar time, not just mileage... It will be interesting to see if my "3" appears when I have the same amount of calendar time since purchase. That will happen for me in October of 2024.

14. Dan McInerney

Dan McInerney Member

Manufacture date: October 2017. (I do live in a mountainous area, though most of my miles are on fairly level roads. Still, in mountainous areas, the manual recommends (p. 477) a change at "47,500 miles (75,000 km) or 3 years." Maybe the Maintenance Minder is giving me a recommendation based on years rather than miles?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2023
  15. My interpretation of the wording in footnote #3, is that MM is not capable of determining the conditions under which the vehicle is operated as pertains to making a recommendation on when the transmission fluid should be changed. It appears to be telling us that the recommended interval is somewhere beyond 47,500 miles or 3 years and we will not be notified of anything other than the recommended interval.
    IMG_3050.jpeg

16. Dan McInerney

Dan McInerney Member

Wish Honda would've made the recommendations clearer. But since the car is now 6 years old, I'm thinking the dealer's 30,000 mile service package might make sense. Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 11.57.57 AM.png

17. Agreed, it was likely triggered by the 6 year parameter rather than a mileage parameter. I would, however, question a dealer recommendation to change the transmission fluid at 30,000 mile intervals. Given that the manual recommends a change at 47,500 miles under unusually harsh conditions.

18. Dan McInerney

Dan McInerney Member

I'll make it a point to ask them about their recommendation . . . with owner's manual in hand.

19. They aren’t likely to be prepared for the arrival of an informed customer.

As a point of reference, it is recommended to change the transmission fluid in a Honda CR-V at 90,000 miles, or 30,000 miles if operated under extreme conditions. It could be standard procedure for them to base their recommendation on the assumption that every vehicle has been operated under extreme conditions. They’re trying to make a buck in the same way that the quick oil change places will try to convince a customer that they need an $89 injector cleaning.