Inside rear view mirror

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by dvmartin42, Feb 17, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. dvmartin42

dvmartin42 New Member

We had our first night time drive yesterday and noticed a distracting flaw?? in the rear view mirror. The headlights of cars following seemed to have multiple lines of light both above and below the headlight itself. Both wife and self could see it so not my imagination. Have others seen this or is it some kind of defect in the mirror itself? The outside mirrors did not have this issue.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I have the same thing but assumed it was because the tint film on the rear glass is applied over the defrosting wires. I never thought about it coming from the mirror. Thanks. I will check it tonight by looking through the rear window directly and then angling the mirror to see if I can look through just it alone at a headlight.
    Have you tinted your rear window by any chance?

4. dvmartin42

dvmartin42 New Member

Yes it does have tint, but so does the 2018 Sienna with defrosting wires similar and that vehicle does not have the same issue with the rear view mirror.

5. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

There is an extreme angle on the rear glass....it seems almost horizontal. I have no tint and no lines at night, so I'll bet it's reflection off the tinting on the very angled glass (unlike the Sienna).

6. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

It’s the window tint film. And as stated it’s caused by the extreme angle of the back glass. A common complaint from aftermarket tint on windows sloped like this.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I can verify that this is related to tint. I’ve had 3 cars with significantly sloping rear windows that I’ve had tint applied to after driving without tint and this is something that I’ve noticed after the tint’s been applied in all 3 cars (including my Clarity). It’s an unfortunate but seemingly unavoidable byproduct. You could try talking to the tint shop and see if they have any suggestions but I’m thinking not.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. dvmartin42

dvmartin42 New Member

OK, thanks for the responses. We'll just have to learn to live with it. Don't drive at night that much anyway.

10. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

The rear glass is hardly a great example of optical "clarity". It has quite a bit of distortion.

11. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

It’s definitely the tint and not the mirror. I tried it both ways last night. Great insights by all the above people on the extreme slope of the rear window contributing to this. I was racking my noggin over what made the Clarity do this and not any other car I had tinted. Thanks, I will rest easier tonight.

12. To remove this ad click here.