ID Buzz wrong side charger port

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Mar 4, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Kyle and team,

The ID Buzz has the charging port on the wrong side. It needs to be on the driver side so it will work with SuperChargers. Alternatively, have an optional CCS-1 extension cord.

BTW, I want the tow hitch ball or 2" receiver. If VW won't offer either as an option, I know who would.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I've never seen a CCS extension cord. Where would you find such a thing?

To get the federal money, Tesla's going to have to lengthen their charging cables to accommodate the wide variety of non-Tesla EVs. The Magic Dock is a start, but if Tesla doesn't make it possible for all EVs to charge in a Tesla slot, some EVs will park in the adjacent slot to get the cord to reach, effectively taking up two slots where Teslas could be charging. The already mad Tesla drivers will be even madder.

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

5. bwilson4web

Given the SuperCharger abuse built-in by Magic Dock, limit it to the drive through stations and V4 stations.

Problem solved.

Bob Wilson

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If Tesla wants the federal bucks available for universally accessible charging stations, but doesn't want to lengthen the cords, they could solve the problem by converting all Supercharger sites to drive-through V4 stations.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

I have no problem with future built V4 stations with longer, mixed-use cables. I'm also OK with legacy pull through or side accessed V2 and V3 charging spots having the Magic Dock retro fitted. But I do object to the other charging stations getting the Magic Dock that encourages multi-lane blocking. Fortunately, the IRS provides relief.

Letters to my Congress critters and the responsible agencies becomes my voice. Each unique with photo evidence is enough. I have no doubt the next stockholder meeting will have a question about this problem.

Bob Wilson

9. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Without a credit card reader, there will be no federal funds.

10. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I don't think the standards allow for CCS extension cords. If the charging cables have a need to be liquid cooled, that pretty much means that it can't happen.

That being said, I suppose an extension that you take with you would just need to support a single charge session followed by at least a couple of hours to cool down - not at all the same as what you might find at a DCFC where you might have one session after another.

11. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I suppose the counter argument is that for people using streetside L2 charging, having the charge port on the passenger side makes more sense and reduces the risks of having a charge port door on the driver's side.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I don't think that's true.

Download the PDF: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2023/02/28/2023-03500/national-electric-vehicle-infrastructure-standards-and-requirements

Payment Methods This final rule establishes a requirement that charging stations must provide a contactless payment method that accepts major credit and debit cards and accept payment through either an automated toll-free phone number or a short message/messaging system (commonly abbreviated as SMS). Payment methods must be accessible to persons with disabilities, not require a membership, not affect the power flow to vehicles, and provide access for those that are limited English proficient.

14. marshall

I thought the federal bucks where just for new installations.

15. marshall

Right now Tesla is testing the Magic Dock.

I expect to see them at locations that aren't heavily used or for new installations that receive federal money. So perhaps not that big of an issue.

16. bwilson4web

Source?

17. marshall

Reading through the guidelines, I see they allowed to be used, but I'm not seeing where they are required. There's a whole page discussing payment methods.

From pdf file:
    https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2023/02/28/2023-03500/national-electric-vehicle-infrastructure-standards-and-requirements

The FHWA also agrees that, although there are some concerns with contactbased options for credit card payments, States and other designated recipients should be allowed to include these options. Contact-based options for credit card payments are allowable under the language of the proposed rule, therefore this final rule has not been modified to further accommodate them.