How long after you received your plate before your HOV stick came in CA?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by dannieboiz, May 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. dannieboiz

dannieboiz New Member

Purchased the vehicle on 4.11, paid the dealer to submit the HOV sticker for us. Our plate came today but no sticker. Does the HOV sticker come after? if so how long?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

HOV sticker is issued by a different DMV department.
    That unit sends out the new purple stickers in about 60 days.

My dealer applied for me (I still paid $22 to the dealer) in January and received the stickers in March.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    dannieboiz likes this.
  4. Front Row

Front Row Member

Call your dealer, the DMV sent my sticker to the dealer.

5. dannieboiz

dannieboiz New Member

Is this normal for them to do that? Why would DMV send it to them? This sounds strange

6. Front Row

Front Row Member

It depends on when the dealer orders the stickers, in my case they ordered them before I took delivery, so they went to them. I'm not saying that's what's happening to you, but I'd check with them anyway.

dannieboiz likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

This is correct - both of you are correct.

If the dealer orders them before the car is sold (using VIN#), the stickers are sent to the dealer so that they apply them on the car before the sale, making them more attractive for customers to buy them pre-stickered.

However, if the customer orders the stickers AFTER the sale, the vehicle's temporary license plate is used to issue the stickers which will be sent to the customer.

Mine was sent by the dealer but the stickers were sent to me because they did not pre-order the stickers for my car.

Since my dealer was known to order the stickers ahead of the cars arriving onto the lot, I had to specifically request that they not order one for me because they were being issued the red HOV stickers (pre 2018).

I wanted the purple HOV stickers which gives an extra year over the red (post 2019).

Last edited: May 5, 2019