How does “free charging” work?

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Jun 19, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Is this just a hit to Electrify America or does it also affect EVgo and Blink?

The reason is I would not like to see it afflict the Supercharger network.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. papab

papab Member

I'm not sure I understand your question, but the free charging I got w my VW is only for EA. The supercharger network is going to see more users. Free charging is a bad idea & is a big cause of the congestion

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thank you. You've answered my poorly worded question and eased my concern. The "free charging" reviewers have apparently railed about just one 'unnamed' CCS-1 network being submerged.

My recent trip to the Detroit area and back, I only saw one nearly fully occupied Supercharger station, Nashville. That was in part because I drove at night to minimize exposure to urban rush-hour traffic. But it brought home how much Supercharger capacity exists.

Rough estimates, ~2/3d of all USA EVs are Teslas that already are Supercharger compliant. But even with the excellent built-in tools, there appears to be some reluctance for cross country travel. I blame this mostly on inappropriate petro-headed habits that need to be replaced by the EV way.

The other 1/3d includes those who often bought EVs models that Tesla does not make like pickups and off roading vehicles. But poor CCS-1 networks and charging through L2 chargers has done nothing to encourage more adventurous travel.

Adapting to Superchargers will take time as the charging adapter parts and software get tested, manufactured, and deployed. The non-Tesla EV effect on the Supercharger network will initially be modest.

There will be transient issues such as charging port placement. Short cabled adapters can mitigate the worst until improved EVs show up with better placed charging ports.

Sad to say, some "NEVER ELON" loud mouths (aka. VW) will join the TSLAQ chorus and delay potential ICE converts ... who probably should be delayed.

Bob Wilson

5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

The old VW chief (Diess) invited Musk to speak to workers. And there are rumors that VW is in "discussions" with Tesla, so I wouldn't put them in a never Elmo category.