Honda Clarity Increase of 123.7 mpg

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by leosgarza, Oct 25, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. leosgarza

leosgarza New Member

So apologies for the long drown out explanation; this post is to point out that how we increased out mpg by 123.7 miles. Let me explain; I got the Clarity last year in Nov 2018 because I wanted a hybrid since my 2013 Toyota Prius had 225K on it. I charge at night at home on a home Level 2 charge when either my wife or I got home. I would drive 150 miles round trip at least two times a week (worked at home the other three days), and my wife would drive it 90 miles round trip at least once a week. I understood that highway miles should be driven on hybrid, and around town, you drive in EV mode to get the best fuel economy. I also know about the angry bees and how you should try to leave some charge, so you don't get the loud noise.

So my usual pattern was like this: Drive backroads and in town on EV in the morning (8 miles) to get the highway then 82 miles on EV mode. Since there was no Level 2 charger at work, I did not bother with finding a charger. I would get to work with upper 20's or low 30's left in EV mode. I would go to lunch on EV (5 miles), and then on the commute, I would drive in hybrid mode. I would try to plan it to switch to EV mode when I got within the home and charge. I would always give myself a little space because there is a big hill in the PA mountains that I need to go over, and I don't want to hear the bees. So I often would forget to change to EV mode, and I would get home with 10 miles or more in the EV tank. When my wife drove the car to work and back, she would also forget. This went on for a long time, and it worked ok, averaging a respectful 67.8 mpg with 17284 miles on it (check out the pic for proof).

My drive habits changed when I decided to take a new job that was 130 miles round trip five days a week, and I bought a Chevy bolt for my commute. The latest company had a level 2 charger, and my wife gave our Prius to my daughter.

We loved how we were saving in gas since I drove the Bolt to my new firms with the level two charger, and my wife drove it her work with no level two charger at her site. We decided to swap out cars to keep miles down on the new Bolt, I drive the Bolt two weeks and then the Honda Clarity the next week 650 miles (approximately 450 in EV mode and 200 miles on hybrid mode). My wife Honday Clarity driving increased to 900 miles in two weeks (approximately 700 miles in EV mode and 200 miles in Hybrid mode.) The next change was driving technique, and we decided to drive in EV mode on the Honda Clarity until it is empty, even on the highway. Lastly, at my wife's work, she got security to let her charge on a 110 outlet for the 8 hr day. The results were dramatic, over the last 3245.3 miles, we are averaging 191.5 mpg (pic). So I can't say exactly it was one thing, but it all added up.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Your wife is now driving more miles in EV than than she was previously. If I understand your story correctly.

That is why the mpg has increased.

4. leosgarza

leosgarza New Member

Yes, that is part of it but I believe driving in EV until the battery dies is a major part, small trickle charger on a 110 volt charge was another. All those steps added to the major increase. We still drive 400 miles in EV mode every in a three week period so who cares about angry bees sound just drive as much as you can in EV. I guess that is my main point.

5. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Yes, but no. More EV mode = higher overall mpg (ignoring kWh). That was achieved by plugging it in at your respective workplaces, not by driving it to two bars of power, which is probably not the greatest idea since you said there's a mountain on your route. The power loss issue is not imaginary.

6. Chris Messer

Chris Messer Member

According to this you drove 90 miles to work and had 20-30 to spare. Even on the best day that doesn't add up.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It is a rather convoluted story. Of course if the driver doesn’t activate HV mode, the car will eventually go into HV mode when the batteries are run low.

The 82 miles on EV may have been intended to be 82 on HV.