honda clarity driver position seat setting buttons "blinking" and beeping

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by bpratt, Apr 27, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

2018 Honda Clarity Touring. Today when I turn on the car I got blinking and beeping on the driver position seat setting buttons. It continued intermittently until I turned the car off. When I started the car again, the blinking and beeping continued.
    Anyone have an idea what is happening?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

What happens when you get in your Clarity with your other FOB? Assuming the fob battery is good, I'd try resetting the settings for the seat. If that didn't fix the problem, I'd try disconnecting/reconnecting the Clarity's 12V battery.

ClarityDoc likes this.
  4. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

I tried the other Fob in the garage for a few minutes and the problem did not appear. I need to run to the store later today and I will use the second Fob for that trip. Just wondering; why did you suggest trying the other Fob?

5. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Just a hunch - could it be that the FOB battery is weak (perhaps weaker in the one vs. the other)?
    Might be worth replacing both batteries. It is cheap and easy.

insightman likes this.
  6. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

I'll check the batteries but one other hunch is that I had the FOB and my phone in the same pocket (which I have done many times before). Maybe the position of the phone and FOB were such that it created some kind of interference. I'll post what I finally conclude this problem was.

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

The seat-position selector takes its directions from the fob. I thought the fob battery might be failing (like @MrFixit), or the fob might have been dropped too many times. It would have to be an edge-of-failure situation, however, for your Clarity to start, but fail to correctly interpret the fob for the seat-position selector.

You should try different positions for your phone and fob to see if you can duplicate the failure.

9. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

The only time this happened to me is when the last driver used a different fob and I used mine and both fob had different seat memory settings. Each fob can hold separate seat, and temp settings.

10. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

I checked the batteries and they are both good in the FOBs. The problem must have been the phone was too close to the FOB, however I have not been able to recreate the problem.

insightman likes this.
  11. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

Well, I did recreate the problem today. Once again I had my phone in my front pocket with my FOB. When the beeping started I pulled the phone out of my pocket and placed it in the cup holder. Once separated the beeping stopped so I guess there must be some signal around the phone that the FOB doesn't like.

Johnhaydev and insightman like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

Well, the problem is back (I guess it never went away). It failed again but I did not have my phone with me. It's very intermittent and sometimes will go days before it starts beeping again. I really don't use the driver position seat setting and would just remove the fuse if I could find it and it didn't control some other function. I used my Vgate diagnostic thing and hoped it would show some diagnostic code, but it did not. I am not going to the Honda dealer because I don't want the expense of them trying to diagnose the problem. If I can't find a fuse to remove, I will probably remove the door panel and disconnect the thing.
    By the way, I did replace the battery in my FOB.

insightman likes this.
  14. insightman

Did you try disconnecting/reconnecting your Clarity's 12V battery? Otherwise, you've done more to diagnose/correct the problem than I could.

15. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

I did disconnect/reconnect the 12V battery last night so I am leaving in about an hour and I'll get a test. One other thing is I can't set the seat position because none of the buttons do anything.

16. insightman

Mice!

17. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

It's still failing. My Vgate diagnostic scanner show no errors. I don't believe I have a mouse problem (no sign of them in my garage). I think since I don't use the seat position setting or buttons, I'll just disconnect the cable going to it. I need to figure out how to get to the plug. Do I need to remove the door panel and then the piece that holds those buttons or can I somehow remove the piece that contains the buttons?