Home made V to H - 'maintenance charging' of the 12V battery

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Lars, Oct 28, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Home made V to H ;)

I used the same setup connecting my 1000W inverter to the 12V battery of my Prius with no problems. (The engine kicked in when needed, just had to keep the car out of the garage!)

However, when I connect the inverter to the my 2012 Kona Preferred the inverter shots down as soon as the HV battery kicks in to replenish the 12V car battery. :(

The inverter complains of HOV 'high input voltage'. The inverter's spec states maximum input voltage 14V. I measured the battery voltage while charging/replenishing and it flip flops between 14.7V 14.8V. (Not surprisingly the inverter kicks off immediately if the car in in Utility Mode.)

I tried an other inverter, with input voltage specked at Max15V it worked fine. So there is the solution. I wanted a 1500W inverter anyways.

However, 14.7/14.8V on the battery terminals while charging seems 'on the high side' to me. I would like to make sure that my car is the same as others on the road. Could someone please measure the charging voltage on their battery?

Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. 14.7V is exactly what I measured as well, just put into utility mode yesterday for 2 hours in prep for annual service at dealership today;)
    BTW any specs or make on your new inverter, picture of your setup would be nice as well

4. So the 14.7V is OK! :) I wrote a private msg to you with more info.

Thanks for your help

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  5. What's the maximum 12v amperage the charging circuit will provide? To drive a 1500w inverter at capacity would need at least 125A.

@Lars, what load have you tried?

6. I do not need the full 1500W output. I put a 120A circuit breaker to control max load. As this is for my use, can control what I am doing with it. My goal is to provide power for my natural gas furnace (<500W) and some LED lights and maybe the fridge, not sure. In the summer it will run the fridge. There should be enough power to run a gas hot water heater, but I changed mine to electric so hot water will be out.

7. To remove this ad click here.