Home Charging Niro/Kona

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by Smitty79, Mar 22, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Smitty79

Smitty79 Member

I put a NEMA 14-50 socket in my garage when I bought a Tesla M3. My girlfriend is looking for something less expensive with more cargo space. What would I have to do to charge one of these EVs with my current socket. A Tesla will plug right in. To Kias and Hyundais come with something that will go straight into a standard wall socket?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Most level 2 ev chargers are available with 14-50 plugs, so no modification is needed. I have a Hyundai Kona and charge it with a level 2 charger with a 14-50 plug. It has adjustable amperage so I have made a number of adapters to other plugs for other out lest like the 14-30. Amazon has a number of options for sale with 14-50 plugs. Also my Konas factory 12 amp level 1 charger can operate on 120 volt, It has a standard 5-15 plug. It can also operate 240 volt as well using an adapter plug

4. Kona Bill

Kona Bill Member

The charger they supply is VERY slow. I purchased a Besenergy 32amp L2 charger in Oct. 2019 on Amazon and it works great in my 14-50 plug. They back their product with outstanding support and customer service. I had an issue last week and they refunded my return shipping within 24hrs and sent me a new unit BEFORE they received my return. Can’t recommend this charger or company enough. Good luck on your search.

5. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

You can get adapters for the Tesla EVSE so that it can be used to charge both your M3 and a Kona/Niro at maximum speed.

You can also get adapters to allow the bundled KIA/Hyundai 12A portable EVSE to plug into your 14-50 socket and give you 2.7 kW of charging speed. Without adapter, you'll get about 1.3 kW from a standard 120V outlet. Depending on your daily driving needs, you may be okay using these slower charging speeds and save some money on EVSE upgrades.