Hitch for heavy e-bike

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Josee, Nov 28, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Josee

Josee New Member

Hi,

I’m planning to install the eco hitch on my Clarity. I’ve seen few comments about the hitch seating low. Since I’m planning to place a 65 pounds bike rack Kuat NV 2.0 with 2 bikes of 60 pounds I’m afraid the weight will push the receiver really low making it dangerous going up hills. Anybody tried it with a load over 200 pounds?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

4. Going up hills won’t be any different than going down hills or driving on level roads. The car will always be parallel to the grade.

Where it will be necessary to be cautious is when transitioning from a driveway or parking lot to a road, or when going over speed/slow humps. The additional weight will lower the vehicle somewhat. Installation of hitch itself, creates a new low point. I’ve had the hitch contact the ground on a couple of occasions. What really increases the risk of ground contact is the fact that the bike rack extends out beyond the car.

There are drop/rise adapters available which allow the bike rack to be mounted at a higher point. However, the adapter still extends out a few inches and the rack may come into contact with the bumper before the hitch pin holes line up, which would prevent the proper installation of the rack.

If I recall, the linked thread brings up a number of valid points, ranging from “I did it and nothing broke, so it must be safe.” to “The manufacturer has provided no rating for tongue weight and has specifically stated that the vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer.”

I installed the 2” Ecohitch and we occasionally load two 15lb bikes on the rack. Even though a company has manufactured a hitch with a 2000lb tow rating and a 300lb tongue weight rating, I understand that the mounting points on the vehicle are not rated for anything other than their intended purpose.