Help: can't turn power off

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Dan McInerney, Mar 27, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dan McInerney

Dan McInerney Member

2018 Clarity Touring: I can't turn the power off on my car. There is a warning light on in the upper right corner for the "Electric Power Steering(EPS) System Indicator." But the manual does not offer instructions on what to do to shut off power. To the car? Any suggestions? Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 2.48.10 PM.png

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Looks like it is in accessory mode. Did you try pushing the Start/Stop button without pushing the brake?

Frankwell likes this.
  4. Dan McInerney

Dan McInerney Member

Thank you, Robert. I went back to the car and kept pushing the Power button. It finally turned off. But now I can't recall if I had my foot on or off the brake. But I will keep your suggestion in mind if this happens again.
    I noticed something else when I went to try again: the "12-volt battery charging system indicator" was illuminated red. Now, I've been playing "car roulette" with that battery because it's still the original one from December 2017 when I bought the car. (And when I looked at the indicator on the battery itself, there was no blue circle, only white, indicating "needs charging.") If everything starts up in the morning, I'll head to my dealer to see about a new battery.
    Again, thank you, Robert, for your suggestion.

5. Frankwell

Frankwell Active Member

Actually ON mode (two presses of the power button without pressing the brake pedal)

One thing we have learned about the Clarity is that if it is acting weird, it's probably the 12V battery.

Daniel M W likes this.
  6. Dan McInerney

Dan McInerney Member

Thank you, Frankwell, for your help, too. I'll bear in my the two-press suggestion you offered. And , yep, I realize I can't play games any longer with my 4 1/4 year old 12-volt battery!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

After 4.5 years the battery is no longer under warranty. Dealers tend to mark that kind of thing up. A lot. An O'Reilly or Autozone would probably be better :)

Dan McInerney likes this.
  9. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I put my OEM 12v battery (2018 Clarity Base) on a battery tender to let it trickle charge overnight, repeat this every 2-3 weeks. So far my 12v battery works like new. I do keep a 12v jump pack in the trunk just in case it fails.

Dan McInerney likes this.