Has the SE ruined you for other EVs?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by polyphonic, Jul 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Just got back from my second i4 test drive, this time the decked out $70k M50 variant.

Nice car but I came away cold. I am afraid that our humble Mini SE has ruined me for other EVs. Anyone else find other EVs a bit boring after owning the SE?

Texas22Step, Cindy B and minimaine like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. vader

vader Well-Known Member

Definitely. The MINI is an EV done correctly. People are always on about bespoke EV platforms, however unless they are done correctly, you end up with a big R&D bill and no advantages. The small battery helps acceleration, efficiency, handling, charging time - well pretty much everything except range. As a city dweller, I long ago threw off the worries of range, and range anxiety. I never drive more than 250km a day in the city. I've driven many EVs, from Teslas, to Hyundais, to Jags (well Jag). They all feel big and bloated. The SE has definitely spoiled me. Don't get me wrong, I'll take a big and bloated EV on a round Oz trip long before the MINI (I like my kidneys), but for any normal, day to day trips, it wouldn't even get a polite nod. The SE is so much fun to drive, and in a nutshell, that is why all other EVs just don't cut it - well the ones I could afford anyway.

Texas22Step, Cindy B, wessy and 4 others like this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

There is nothing like the handling of the SE, I don't think. Every other BEV seems to be a land yacht that maybe can accelerate quickly, but that's about it.

I just test drove an F-150 Lightning a couple of days ago, and it is actually pretty nice even in comparison to the SE. For a truck it's a quick accelerator and is very responsive, and the turning radius is very small. I'm not a fan of the giant Tesla-like touch display in the center, but there are a good number of actual switches and toggles like the SE as well as an instrument display behind the steering wheel very similar to the SE. And, like the SE, the speedometer works in reverse. :)

Cindy B, wessy and GvilleGuy like this.
  5. ristretto

ristretto Member

I would say different EVs serve different purposes. I leased an Audi etron for nearly two years and as you might expect, the ride quality, roominess and interior quality were vastly different than my SE (of course, the etron costs more than twice the SE). I can envision times when I would prefer the etron cruiser while other times I’d go with the gokart-like SE.

6. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Different EV’s serve different purposes like you said a family with 3 kid’s can’t use a SE but like me driving alone is no better car on a market . 6 years in I 3 this was my best option to replace and a range I don’t care 3000 miles a year plug every 2weeks but we as a owners of mini SE we are a little snobs liking a brand and this is a last classic Mini Cooper ever produced.New platform they callMiniJ01 will be build in China just for statistic 2020/2023 minis have battery 32.6 kWh. 114 m/range base China mini 40kWh/185 miles range and Mini S 50kWh will have 250 miles range with 182 hp and S 221 hp and they improved top speed to 112 mph.Production will start September 2023 and we get this model after European get first .But they say will be $30000 car but as they put bigger batteries a car is a must to be more expensive . I pay in January $ 29999 and 1/2 year later is $35000 price for SE .buy today if you don’t need a range of Tesla .SE is a best good looking car around and we proud of it. I Can afford all this 300 mile EV but they useless for my purpose only I change my mind if a Porsche 911 build strictly EV on a platform of 911 not 4 doors Taycan .Once I move to EV I sold my two Porsches 6 years ago And not missing them .

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I know you did mistake nobody drive 155 miles / 250 kilometers in any city or you Uber with SE

9. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on the EV, I’m sure I’d prefer driving the Mini vs a Bolt for example.
    However we also own a Tesla and frankly I prefer it to the Mini. The accelerator pedal is much more precise in its tuning, it has true one pedal driving (with hold), it’s stupid fast, it rides better due to being larger, the steering is more go kart like than the Mini and I much prefer the infotainment and modern minimalist interior.
    That said… I still like the Mini, I think it’s an absolute bargain and at the sub $40k price point I don’t think there’s anything to touch it as long as the range is sufficient for you. Plus it goes so much further than it’s supposed to so it feels like “the little Ev that can”.

Texas22Step, Cindy B and wessy like this.
  10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Here's 285 km/177 mi:

Pennyworth likes this.
  11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I've never read anyone else compare a Tesla to a go-kart, but you feel what you feel.

Texas22Step and Cindy B like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

Not the Tesla as a whole, the Tesla steering.
    There is zero slop on center and it’s a high ratio unit. Many reviewers will complain it’s “twitchy” especially on the highway. Personally I just find I direct and preferable to the vague slop found in most US spec cars…

14. voxel

voxel New Member

The lighter Model 3 RWD is go-karty. I daily-ed that before buying my MINI SE. Also owned a Model Y at the same time and definitely you can feel the extra weight.

Sold the Y for a Mach-E but barely drive it lol. I have to drive in dense urban areas and the MINI is perfect for it.

79419F97-CD77-4B82-884C-3CC7AAE09A4D.jpeg

wessy likes this.
  15. I have followed this thread with some interest, as it touches on key topics regarding broader adoption of EVS: material limitations and driving dynamics.

My 2019 Niro is only 700 pounds lighter than my RX450H. The Lexus is beautifully composed and comfortable over any distance I care to drive. The Niro has a harsh road feel but doesn't handle well.

The Niro has a very wide turning radius and is surprisingly difficult to reverse into parking spaces - it steers like a larger car, but without then refinements.

A larger battery means I charge less frequently, but does not change how far I drive on any given day.

Given the current limitations on raw materials available, it seems necessary only for marketing to produce EVs with range greater than 200 miles on a charge.

*In my opinion* smaller EVs with lighter battery packs and more limited range should sell well after a broader market develops.

16. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

With some cars hitting 15+ miles per minute of DCFC time, absolute range will become less and less important as DCFC becomes more common. I have a fast charger desert around me, and the Mini charges slow on it when you can find one. I do feel like that limits what I can actually do with my SE outside of a 50 mile bubble from home base, which I honestly don't leave regularly anyways.

I think ~250 miles of range will be a sweet spot in the cost/weight/range balance equation unless there's some massive energy storage breakthrough that completely changes the game. I'm hoping the next SE is ~180 miles with no weight gain and a slight power bump but I like to dream. Actually since we're dreaming, I want a <3000lb ~250hp JCW EV more than anything else.

5000lb EV missiles like the Air, Taycan, and Model S I'm sure are very nice just not my flavor (or price bracket.)

wessy and MichaelC like this.
  17. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

We went to the BMW driving experience a few weeks ago. They had us autocross the electric 4 series. Meh! What was the perfect size 3 series is not just a fat ugly car with too much technology. We drove the iX, the electric SUV on the street. Now that is a monster! insanely quick, roomy, etc. Price starts at about 85 and the one we drove would sticker at about 95 the kid told us. The "crystal" on the shifter and seat adjusters was a turn off to me. They are making the car look like a fancy dining room. Im not into the fake glitz.

18. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

As father of three children, I respectfully disagree. We have two cars in my family - mine (SE) and my wife’s (Bolt). The SE serves very well as part of our fleet. No, we don’t all fit in it at the same time. But if we are all together we take the Bolt. By definition, we don’t need two cars to fill this role. If even one of us isn’t there, the SE works. I have had all three kids in the SE with me. It’s fine for shorter trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

F14Scott, Ketos, LittleWoods and 2 others like this.
  19. Ketos

Ketos Member

I can relate. I have a family of five and it took some time to convince my wife that the SE would be a good second car. It turned out to be a great choice as I put 5k mile on it in 5 months and put less than 1k on our family car. Saving a ton on not buying gas and no maintenance cost is nice.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  20. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Sorry I misspoke and I believe everybody should have SE as second car with young children I have only two kids but they 48 and 45 years old and 6’5” and 6’3” tall they can’t fit in a back sits.

Texas22Step and GetOffYourGas like this.
  21. GetOffYourGas

I agree, the SE makes an excellent addition to a fleet, but cannot be an only car for a family of five of course.

The SE is my primary car. I take it any and every time I can. I only take the Bolt if I have to - either there are 5 of us, or we need more trunk space, or we need the roof rack, etc.

I think Mini did their homework and realized that most people who buy a 2-door hardtop model have at least one other car in their driveway. And that played a role in letting the range be only ~100 miles. They would have a much harder time selling a 100 mile Countryman for example, which is why it is a PHEV rather than a BEV.

Jawad Malik and wessy like this.
  22. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    smart used to have an ad that read something like, “Studies show that the average car has 1.2 occupants. We decided to be generous and give you two seats.”

23. GetOffYourGas

Clever! I don’t think a car with 1.2 seats would sell very well…