Getting software upgrade on Monday.

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David in TN, Jan 9, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

I'll be getting 4 updates that I'm aware of. What do I need to be cautious about afterwards?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Making sure they did apply them correctly. For example, if you still see wild HV ranges, then they didn't do it right.

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

After you do some driving after the updates, please post your experience and tell us if you think anything changed other than HV estimate correction. Especially in regards to driveability, range, economy, and HV or ICE operation.
    Thanks in advance.

5. ozy

ozy Active Member

what is the current version? I bought my Clarity about 2 weeks ago and am not sure if it's the most current version.

6. vicw

vicw Active Member

Did the dealer include SB 18-097 in your updates? I have my appointment scheduled on Friday. and they don't show that one on the list, which I think is odd, since it's supposed to apply to all VIN's. I plan to discuss that with them when I leave the car.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KentuckyKen

From the posts I’ve read here, it appears the 18-097 is not offered unless you first make a complaint about public charging. It doesn’t seem to be automatically applied even though it’s for all VINS. Squeaky wheel gets the grass on this particular SB.

9. vicw

vicw Active Member

I had that feeling, too, but I hadn't studied the posts in great detail. It seems to me that there were some serious results for some posters after encountering problems using the public chargers, but I need to dig back through the forum to give me some ammunition. To be honest, I haven't yet used a public charger, but I know the problem has been pretty widespread, and I suspect the vulnerability would apply to every Clarity that is programmed with the original code. I don't want to end up with a problem somewhere, the first time I use a public charger, so I really want the SB installed to prevent that possibility.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  10. KentuckyKen

Grease not grass...stupid Spell Check and fat thumbs I guess.
    Let us know how it acts after the updates. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  11. vicw

vicw Active Member

Ha. I liked the grass reference - I was wondering what it exactly meant. You could edit the post, I suppose.

My dealer called to confirm my appointment for tomorrow, and I chatted with him about the missing SB 18-097. It didn't come up when he queried for my vehicle, but he agreed to add it to the stack for tomorrow.

On the other hand, my diligence in having them pre-order the CPU for one of the other SBs was not rewarded. He said it was on a National back order. That isn't really too surprising, and one less variable to worry about, in case there are any complications after the multiple SB installs.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. vicw

vicw Active Member

I just had my first annual Maintenance with Honda this morning. It took about 2 hrs and 15 minutes overall, pretty much as expected.

They performed the Oil Filter Service, as well as the Tire Rotation, as planned,
    and also:
    SB 18-090 PHEV EVTC Failure Misdirection PUD
    SB 18-091 PHEV Range Display Incorrect PUD
    SB 18-096 PHEV Emissions Warranty CD Product Update
    as OPEN RECALL
    and
    SB -097 PHEV Clarity Fails to Charge or Finish Charging
    as a CUSTOMER REQUEST

They couldn't perform SB 18-089, due to a back-order on the CPU part, but they will call & schedule that as soon as it is available

They also provided a printout of the Battery Capacity at my request. I was pleased to see that it is at 52.8 Ah after one year, well above the 36.6 Ah lower legal limit. Hopefully, as I approach the 8th anniversary, I won't be driving the Clarity 24/7 to try to run it down to be eligible for a free replacement. It will be interesting to see how much it degrades over time. I don't know if any other posts have reported on that behavior yet. I just wish it was possible to check that capacity at home.

The first Oil change was free, so the only charge I had was for the Tire Rotation, at $23.47

I appreciated that they obliged me on my special requests. Aberdeen Leith Honda, has always been accommodating and reliable, so I wasn't surprised.

I also had the opportunity to meet and chat with another customer who purchased his Clarity one day after mine. He was there for his annual A01 service also. He has only had one significant issue during his first year, a part problem related to the AC, so they have both been pretty reliable, especially for a radical new design execution.

There was no initial change in the EV, HV and Total Ranges reported on the dash.

I gassed up the car, and the HV Range increased to 347 Miles. In exactly one year, I have managed to use about 20.3 gallons of gas, mostly by periodically forcing the ICE to run. That HV range looks a bit optimistic, but I will be watching how that behaves over time to see how it may be affected long term, as it starts to monitor gas usage in the future. I'll also be watching to see if the charge rate and time may be affected by SB 18-097, and will report back if any issues crop up.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    KentuckyKen likes this.
  14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

A very thorough report. Thanks! However, I suspect it was your HV range, not EV range, that increased to 347 miles when you gassed up.

Isn't it funny how strange it now seems when you have to stop at a gas station?

15. vicw

vicw Active Member

Thanks for the correction. 347 EV would have been more that a bit optimistic.

You are exactly right about it feels strange to gas up now. It's almost intimidating, after several months of the ease and comfort of fueling up at home. Oh well, if I manage to live long enough, my next car will let me ALWAYS do it at home, perhaps using an automatic induction charger/coffee maker in my garage. Maybe I will be able to just drive in, say OK Google, charge the car"

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    David in TN and insightman like this.
  16. Ceetee

Ceetee Member

My clarity was built in last Aug. And when I had them check the HV range issue they said my car already has all updates. And gave me boilerplate (provided by honda tech hotline) SB info about EV and how range (GOM) is impacted. I guess when I do my first oil change at another dealer I'll ask them to apply "SB 18-091"?

17. vicw

vicw Active Member

Having had the SB 18-097 (Clarity Fails to Charge or Finish Charging) update installed yesterday, at my request, I checked my first subsequent charge cycle last night, to see if would have any impact on the charge rate.

I'm happy to report that it successfully completed the charge on my Siemens Versicharge at home with the same overall charge rate as it has previously, at 6.66 kW/Hr on a 12.45 kW charge over 1.87 hours.

A reminder to others who have upcoming maintenance with Honda -even though SB 18-097 is shown as applying to all VINs, it doesn't seem to show up for installation unless the customer requests it. I wanted it installed, even though I have not as yet used a public charger. I do want to be able to get a complete charge cycle when and if I do use one.

18. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

When I first got the Clarity I was having a terrible time charging at work with the car failing to charge constantly. The 097 update made a huge difference. I still have occasional issues with charging but nothing like it was before. I think the Clarity is more fickle then most cars. There are Teslas, nissans, chevys and bmws that seem to have no charging issues on any of the work chargers. There are two claritys at my work and I’ve only seen charging issues (an orange light on the charging station indicating a faulty charge) on the two claritys.

19. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

Thank you for reporting this. I am in the same frame of mind; even though I seldom charge outside of my garage, I wanted to get the update. I'm glad it didn't break anything.

20. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

This is such an informative forum!

Thanks - will report back in about a year or so when I get my first maintenance minder alert...

MPower likes this.
  21. vicw

vicw Active Member

It's great, isn't it? It seems that I learn something new from the forum that I had no idea about, just about every day.

Congrats on your new Clarity. I hope you will enjoy a trouble-free experience with it over the years, and share with us.

4sallypat likes this.
  22. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

Software updates are done; however, the dealer said the HVAC control module was on backorder...and they didn't think to notify me beforehand.

They're cleaning it up now. I should have it back in an hour or so (after lunch.)

Just hoping they didn't install Windows 9 on it....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app