Get rid of Garmin Nagging?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by MrFixit, Feb 15, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Many of us have gone beyond the 5 year free navigation update period.
    Now, the Clarity will occasionally come up with this notification:

upload_2024-2-15_12-32-24.png

I have no intention to purchase any updates going forward...
    Does anyone know how to get rid of this message once and for all ???

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

4. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

If YOU don't know, what hope can we have, besides of meeting a Honda software engineer, but... my car boots straight to Carplay. I saw that message yesterday because I deliberately switched to Navigation (Garmin) to see it come up, so not a big deal to me.

5. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Well, being a glutton for punishment, I had a conversation with Garmin Support about this annoying screen.
    I had no real hope, and they did not disappoint me. I thought you might enjoy reading the 'chat'...

CHAT
    Session started
    Me:
    My 2018 Honda Clarity is now beyond the 5 year free update period. I have no plans to purchase any more updates, but the vehicle repeatedly displays a message that the map is 'more than a year old and should be updated'. This message is a nuisance, and I would like to eliminate it going forward. How can I prevent this message from bothering me going forward?

Garmin:
    Thank you for contacting Garmin Chat Support. I'll be glad to assist you.
    Garmin:
    Unfortunately there isn’t a way to disable that message or erase it all in all.

Me:
    So I will have to be annoyed by this for years to come (while I still have the vehicle)? I do not like that response and would like to be able to send a formal complaint to Garmin management. Can you give me specific information as to who I should contact?

Garmin:
    I apologize, this is Honda’s system. I can take your information and submit it but we cannot change Honda’s system

Me:
    So you are saying that I would need to complain to Honda? I don't understand. They seem to have nothing to do with map updates. That is all directly with Garmin...
    Me:
    I was just reading something that indicated (with a different Honda vehicle) that updated maps beyond the 5 year period are simply not available, and probably will never be... Is that also the case with my Honda Clarity?

Garmin:
    No the updates are still available, you can verify that on Express
    Garmin:
    Garmin doesn't have a way to stop that messages other then to update and it will reset the 1 year clock

Me:
    What is the most recent update? I currently have OEM CN North America NT 2023. When I recently checked, there did not seem to be any updates available (even though it is nagging me with the message)

Garmin:

Me:
    Express told me nothing was available. When did 2024 come out? I tried this about a week ago.

Garmin:
    Last Month, What version of Express do you have?

Me:
    I am not sure... I am not on a Windows machine. Is a specific version required to be able to see the 2024 update? If so, what version is required?

Garmin:
    Garmin Express would need to be up to date to function properly.

Me:
    What version is "up to date"?

Garmin:

Me:
    OK, I will try that. Please express my dissatisfaction with the inability to permanently eliminate this annoying message.

Garmin:
    If it continues to not show a the update available then we need to verify what maps are on your car and if they are an older version you would use this article for troubleshooting. Garmin Express Software Fails to Complete the "Downloading Files" Stage or Error Installing Message
    Garmin:
    I will

6. I bought a new Garmin a few years back and it sucked. It was worse that the old one that was at least 15 years old. It could not find a main street in Las Vegas. Consistently showed us going straight at an intersection when we were in the turn lane then got totally lost when we turned.

I went back and forth with support for days and gave up. Their help support is pathetic.

It's in a box in the basement I think. Expensive junk.

7. To remove this ad click here.