Front Dome Console Unseating/Loosening

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Pooky, Jul 24, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

I'm having an issue with the front dome console coming loose while driving but I haven't seen anyone else report an issue like this nor can I find information anywhere as to how I can fix it. While driving, vibrations cause the console to become unseated from its mounted position and slack downward from the front.

upload_2020-7-24_20-10-29.png

I thought it would be as simple as pushing it back up into its place, but so far that has only worked temporarily (read: about half an hour of driving). When I push it back up, I can hear and feel a click as the plastic "teeth" lock into place from the left-, front-, and right-hand sides. It seems pretty snug, and the back seems to be the anchor point as it has no issues staying in place (and I don't feel anything when I push up on it).

upload_2020-7-24_20-12-36.png

But still, after a bit of driving, it becomes loose once again and I am not sure if I am failing to properly reseat it or if something may be broken. I have tried to lightly pull down on the panel to see the locking teeth, but it doesn't seem to want to come out so easily and I don't want to break anything if this ends up being a dealership repair.

Has anyone else experienced this happening to them? Did you figure out how to fix it? I am still under the limited warranty so I may just bring this in to the dealer if it can be repaired for free.

Cheers,
    Callum

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

At the factory, that assembly was pressed into the headliner after the electrical connections were made. Perhaps there is a broken clip or the indentation into which the clip is supposed to seat is damaged or blocked with something, such as part of the headliner.

You've tried the easy fix and it didn't last, so you, your dealer or other brave and/or skilled individual will have to pull the assembly out of the headliner to inspect the clips and the places where the clips are meant to engage. There will be multiple clips, so you will be able to compare the ones that work with the one or ones that are slipping out.

Pooky likes this.
  4. It is certainly a defect that should be covered under warranty. If they resist, deploy the “unsafe to operate” phrase.

insightman and Pooky like this.
  5. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

The dealership said the cause of the mount falling was likely due to heat on the roof wearing down the support clips. I have no idea if that is true or not, but either way, it was fixed under warranty for free and is now secured in-place.

MrFixit and insightman like this.
  6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks for getting back to us with your report. The Clarity PHEV has been around in 3 summers now but yours is the first such report on this forum, so I doubt the heat affected the support clips. If replacing the clips fixed the problem, I would guess your car received one or more defective clips at the factory.

MrFixit and Pooky like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.