Free DC charging

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Oct 31, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. "Parkland Corporation has launched their electric vehicle (EV) charging network, opening their first three locations in British Columbia this month. The EV chargers are located at On The Run convenience stores at Chevron gas stations.
    The first charging station opened earlier this month in Sidney (2260 Beacon Ave), just north of Victoria. That was followed by the second location opening in the interior of the province in Penticton (697 Eckhardt Ave W) on October 20 and their third station opening in Victoria (3939 Gordon Head Rd) last week.
    Each station features battery-integrated ultra-fast EV chargers from FreeWire, offering both CHAdeMO (100kW) and CCS connectors (150kW). With integrated battery storage Parkland will be able to lower their peak demand charges by drawing and storing electricity from the grid during off-peak times.
    To celebrate the opening of the network, plugging in and charging your EV is free for a limited time. To take advantage you have to download the Journie Rewards app (iOS App Store, Google Play Store) and become a Journie member (free to join).
    when the promotion ends, the company will implement a per kWh billing system, instead of billing EV owners by the length of time they are plugged in."
    [​IMG]
    DC Boost Charger (freewiretech.com)
    Specs

GENERAL
    160 kWh integrated lithium-ion battery

CCS1 / CCS2 and CHAdeMO connectors

Simultaneous fast charging

24″ touchscreen

MET listed

CE and UKCA mark

OCPP compliant

INPUT
    Up to 27 kW

3-phase 208/400 V, or split-phase 240 V

OUTPUT
    CCS: 150 kW

CHAdeMO: 100 kW

Combined: charge two vehicles simultaneously at up to 75 kW each

DC/DC POWER CONVERSION
    High power efficiency

Silicon-carbide (SiC) switching technology
    [​IMG]
    :)
    Note the low input: voltages including common 3 phase 208 or 120/240 single phase up to 27kW max (probably utilizing 3 phase 400V input) using integrated battery technology. Reduction in installation and charging costs to the owners.
    I would have preferred an available RFID card, but for those who have a smartphone, this is encouraging. Wonder what the rates will be per kWh (after the promo ends).
    Source:
    Parkland launches EV charging network at Chevron gas stations, offers free charging for a limited time - Drive Tesla (driveteslacanada.ca)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    Kirk and java like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Thought I would update this thread with this Canadian list provided by Driving.ca of which automakers offer free public charging when purchasing their EVs (also - those who don't). Lots of info from U.S., but this one is strictly Canada related.
    Spoiler:
    "“We do not yet have a partnership in place to offer free charging to customers, but it’s something we’re studying,” explained Jennifer McCarthy, Hyundai’s National PR Manager. This is in contrast to Hyundai USA automaker offering two years of free charging at Electrify America locations."

4. [​IMG]:)

5. HyperSmiler

HyperSmiler New Member

I have been using the charger located at the Chevron in Penticton and noticed that the DC output has been throttled down to 50 KW during the free introduction. Not that I am complaining because the FLO charger 2 blocks away costs $0.33/minute at their 50 KW charger

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

electriceddy likes this.
  6. Glad to hear it works, I assume you do need the app(smartphone) to operate, or can you just pull up, plug in and charge? I do not own a cellphone, so I was contemplating applying for the Journie rewards card and use that to scan, if it works that way.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I just tried the one in Sidney since I was down to the airport anyway. Price was right ;-). But speed was slow. Started at 31kw but quickly went to 14kw and stayed there. If those are the final speeds, good thing they won’t charge by the minute.
    Oh, and I used the app to charge. Worked fine.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. Same question as above, I ordered the Journie rewards card, but do I need the phone app (I have no phone) as well, or can you just scan the rewards card?
    I know you mentioned using the "app", but just curious what is offered for those without phones;)

10. "Parkland Corp. is doubling the size of its previously announced electric vehicle charging network with a focus on British Columbia, which leads the country in EV adoption.

[​IMG]
    The Calgary-based fuel retailer said Friday it will now install 50 ultra-fast charging stations on highways and in major destinations from Vancouver Island to Calgary, instead of the previously announced 25.
    Parkland expects to complete its initial 25 charging locations by year-end, with the following 25 locations to be completed in early 2024.":)

11. eCork

eCork New Member

That’s excellent news! Good for them. I look forward to giving them some business.

Although I think the route to Edmonton could use more chargers than the one to Calgary..

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. HyperSmiler

HyperSmiler New Member

Kirk and R P like this.
  14. Have used the Princeton Chevron On the Run (Parkland) a couple of times on trips to Vancouver. There are 3 CCS plugs. Our Kona charges at about 40kw. Can't complain as it is still free. ICE vehicles can be a bit of a problem at this location.

electriceddy likes this.
  15. We've just tried the new "Journey" charge station in Delta for our 2021 Kona, and couldn't get over 53kW max charge even though we are rated at 77kW.
    I suspect that the Kona's crippled charge algorithm is to blame for the this. The best we've even done is 67kW on a BC Hydro 100kWh charger

Our battery was warm and it had been over an hour since the charger had last been used.

electriceddy likes this.
  16. Personally I would be happy with that given it is a "free 53":)