First solar roadway in the US

Discussion in 'General' started by Esprit1st, Dec 14, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Several news outlets are reporting that the first solar roadway in the US has been installed in Peachtree Corners. Interestingly it's been installed by the same french company that installed a solar roadway in France in 2016, which was a total disaster. The road peeled and was destroyed pretty fast.

Not sure why we would want to put solar panels into a road if we have more than enough rooftops to put them on where not hundreds of tons of cars beat the panels to death every day.

I hope it's not the poor tax-payer who ends up paying for this (IMHO) stupid idea!

I'm all for greener energy but this is not the way to go!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/solar-road-us-georgia-electric-car-charging-stations/

A solar road is one embedded with solar panels, tough enough to be driven over, to catch the sun's rays and turn it into usable electricity. These panels come from a French company called Wattway, which is testing solar roads around the world. Its work with Peachtree Corners marks the first time a functioning solar road has graced America. With installation complete, with Wattway's latest most durable panels, the road will start sucking up the sun's energy to deploy at electric car charging stations at Peachtree Corners City Hall.

Bob Wilson

Esprit1st likes this.
  4. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

Why not just put solar carports in parking lots? Those actually generate energy and provide a secondary function of shading cars and keeping rain off cars.

gooki, Fastnf, Esprit1st and 2 others like this.
  5. I assume that's way too straight forward thinking ...

gooki, Fastnf and petteyg359 like this.
  6. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

That and the moronic notion that solar panels are aesthetically "ugly", but somehow a huge plain of hot dead concrete is not.

Esprit1st likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

9. Those are exactly problems that make the expense not worthwhile in my opinion. I think that money is spent better in just using roof space in cities.

10. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Covering solar panels with cars is about as dumb as it gets, but most of the green new deal stuff is about emotions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Our just moving solar panels to the SIDES of the highway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gooki and Esprit1st like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

The majority of road surface is not covered by a vehicle the majority of the day. No need to make up bogus reasons to not build nonsense when there are actual reasons, like many many square miles of unused rooftops that don't get periodically beat up by multi-ton vehicles.

Esprit1st likes this.