First city to ban new gas stations.

Discussion in 'General' started by R P, Mar 2, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. I dunno -- one small California city doesn't say "wave of the future" to me. Might be, but it's too early to tell.

3. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

What a terrible idea. The last thing that should be done is to make people feel forced into buying an EV. All that does is build resentment.

4. I guess you don't like that ICE car sales will also be stopped. That's another stick. I know you like the free market solution. I do, too, but don't mind a few carrots to improve the timeline, like free charging. 12-3=9 years is not that far away.:D

5. SouthernDude

lol. bans are not carrots. It is far better to have people wanting to drive EVs instead of feeling forced to.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Just curious, what have you done promoting "people wanting to drive EVs" ?

So when someone asks about my blue Tesla, my answers include:
    • The best car I've ever owned.
    • It cost $2.70 to drive 100 miles in the city.
    • About 1/3d of my City miles are on free chargers at shopping centers.
    • When I get home, it charges in less than an hour while I rest.
    • It cost $3.00 to $3.50 to drive 100 miles on the highway. The $3.00 when I stay at a motel with free breakfast and overnight charging.
    • Cross country, we typically drive 700-750 miles in a day: stop at a fast food for bathroom and takeout; put car on fast charger for 20-30 minutes for another 120-180 miles or 2-3 hours of driving; eat and walk dogs, and; put trash in or bags for the next stop.
    • Time permitting, I supervise a 30 minute, 'you drive' trial to anyone who agrees. I operate the screen.
    • I give 'walk around' tours and sit them in the driver's seat.
    • Mine costs $22,700 from $41,000 - $18,300 (Prius trade-in).
    • Replacement cost $38,000 and goes 250 miles versus my 2019 at 240 miles originally. After two years and 38,000 miles, a full charge shows 230-234 miles.
    • A free Tesla account lets you see the used Teslas and their prices.
    • No more brake pads, oil changes, or air filters.
    • The front crushes in an accident and no engine trying to ram into the cabin.
    • Teslas go over three million miles between accidents versus half a million miles for ordinary cars ... nearly 10 times lower accident rate.
    • My other car, a BMW i3-REx, is the second best I've ever owned.
    • In front of others, I "summon" my Tesla with a dog in the car.
    So what do you do?

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  8. Southern Dude is an ICE driver who isn't willing to think outside the box. He thinks public L2 chargers are useless because they take too long, and thinks the way to make people want EVs is to make EVs more like ICE cars. But most EV drivers know that EVs are better than ICE cars ;)

9. bwilson4web

Hey, @SouthernDude is your ride not an EV? What make and model?

Bob Wilson

10. SouthernDude

I don't own an EV yet, so I can't give test rides and whatever. I've mostly just shown people maps of where chargers are for both Tesla and CCS and then explain how it's cheaper to run and that most charging happens at the home. I will probably be the first in my family to get an EV.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. SouthernDude

I drive a 2008 Nissan Xterra. I have considered getting a cheap used EV as a stop gap, but I don't think it makes sense financially.

13. bwilson4web

We agree so I'd like to suggest a 2015 or later, BMW i3-REx. You'll have plenty of EV range around town and the REx means you are not tied to any given fast DC charging network.

Looking at eBay motors, prices are $12,000-$17,000. A more recent, end-of-lease BMW i3-REx will be more expensive but may come with part of the warranty remaining.

I have a 2014 which had infantile problems and would not recommend 2014 as a first EV (or PHEV) but mine is not for sale as I gave it to my girlfriend. The 2015-current, 'end-of-lease' BMW i3-REx remains a good value and EV training car. IF it doesn't work out, you can sell it and get most of your money back.

Bob Wilson

Calliope and GvilleGuy like this.