Ext cords across public sidewalks approved...

Discussion in 'General' started by electriceddy, Mar 8, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Extension cords across public sidewalks for Electric Vehicle charging

1. are a really good idea

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. are not a good idea

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. there must be a better way

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. ...in Vancouver using 120V only while EV charging :
    https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-electrical-cords-electric-battery-vehicle-charging
    $5 annual license fee indemnifies the municipality from all liabilities, costs and damages resulting from any incident.
    My years in freezing Calgary demonstrated many variations of corded sidewalk installations (for block heater use) including sticks (or use of trees) with hooks about 7 ft high so people could walk under . Maybe not a bad idea? It certainly will help those who are in a situation with street parking only. Admittedly the approved variations of mechanical protection allowed will have to be monitored closely.
    Opinion?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    mho and DJP like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I would prefer to see a 'cable' trench with a metal cover so it is flush. Between walkers and bicyclists, the extensions cords with power are protected. The technology used for in-ground sprinklers should work just fine using all-weather, buried power cable. It makes 240 VAC, 50 A service practical for proper L2 charging rates, 40 A @240 VAC.

Bob Wilson

electriceddy likes this.
  4. What about these plastic cord covers? Or just a mat to put over it?

5. A baby step forward in conjunction with the proposed mandatory permit parking
    https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-mandatory-parking-permits-public-consultation
    offers incentives to EV ownership with a carbon surcharge added for fossil vehicles.
    The 45$ annual fee for permits hopefully should be enough to offset further construction costs when replacing the sidewalk due to normal wear, and could utilize a removable channel cover in front of every residence. Of course there would be issues to deal with such as visitor parking and assigned spaces in front of the licensee.

mho likes this.
  6. I think this is totally overdoing it. Dang, they have cable protect covers at concerts with thousands of people (well, before covid-19) but you need a under sidewalk mega construction for a single cable?

KiwiME, Mike Althaus and R P like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. dGarry48

dGarry48 Member

Overhead wiring installation isn't possible?

9. TRSmith

TRSmith Member

The permit only allows 120V cables, but is there an amperage limit?

I believe with standard NEMA plugs, you could get up to 50A and 120V with a NEMA 5-50 (not to be confused with 6-50 or 14-50, both of which are for 240V). You'll need an adapter and/or special charger, but if you make it work, you could get 6kW out of that.

10. The charger only supports 12Amp on 120V. I have not heard of any higher amperage than that with 120V.