EV6 vs Ioniq 5 and my gold standard

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Aug 28, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I wanted to check the latest Ioniq 6 versus the Kia EV6 review followed by the EPA metrics. My gold standard is the Tesla Model 3 RWD:

Like many commercial reviews, strong on style and light on engineering, but otherwise a fair comparison.

So starting with Fueleconomy.gov:
    upload_2023-8-28_0-47-10.png
    Hummm, the Ioniq 6 shows excellent efficiency better than the Model 3. But the EV6 seems significantly 'out of its depth.' But let's compare their drag force.

Using the EPA Test Car Database, we can plot the drag force as a function of speed:
    EV6_problem.jpg
    • Ioniq 6 - lowest drag across both low and high speed range. But the weight/HP ratio makes it the slowest to accelerate.
    • Model 3 - higher drag at lower speeds which is probably due to tires used to handle the higher power (i.e., weight/HP) of the other two. It also has more electrical overhead with dual, high performance controllers sized to process Full Self Driving as well as Autopilot.
    • EV6 - highest drag that rapidly rises above 40 mph and second best weight/HP ratio. It would be better in City than Highway travel.
    Fast DC charging is critical for cross country driving. The Model 3 has the lead with reliable, native, 400 VDC Supercharger access. The Ioniq6 and EV6 use the unreliable, 400 VDC and rare, 800 VDC, CCS-1 chargers. With extra cost adapters, each can charge at any station but adapters are an emerging technology that has risks.

I did not include Lucid or Fisher due to their business problems of high cost, low production numbers, and weak sales.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
    WilliamJones likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Bob, in a few inches you provide more and easier-to-interpret information than that very lame, disorganized video review. The idea the manufacturers encourage charging at home to ensure complete charging? Hmmm. "It will be cool to see other brands follow suit with these impressive improvements?" Yeah, cool.